This course combines five days worth of training content from the Network
Infrastructure Technology Specialist, Active Directory Technology Specialist,
and IT Professional Server Administrator courses of Windows Server 2008.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe the
different administrative tools and tasks in Windows Server 2008.
AD DS user and computer accounts.
- Create Groups and Organizational Units.
- Manage access to shared resources in an AD DS environment.
Active Directory Objects and Trusts.
- Create and configure Group Policy
- Configure user and computer environments by using Group Policy.
- Implement security by using Group Policy.
- Configure and analyze
server security and security update compliance.
- Configure and manage
storage technologies included with Windows Server 2008.
- Configure and
manage Distributed File System.
- Configure Network Access Protection.
Configure availability of network resources.
- Monitor and Maintain servers
running Windows Server 2008.
- Manage a Windows Server 2008 Backup and
Lesson 1: Introduction to Administrative Tasks in Windows Server 2008 Environment
- Server Roles
- Overview of Active Directory
- Using Windows Server 2008 Administrative Tools
- Using Remote Desktop for Administration
Lesson 2: Creating Active Directory Domain Services User and Computer Objects
- Managing User Accounts
- Creating Computer Accounts
- Automating AD DS Object Management
- Using Queries to Locate Objects in AD DS
Lesson 3: Creating Groups and Organizational Units
- Introduction to Groups
- Managing Groups
- Creating Organizational Units
Lesson 4: Managing Access to Resources in Active Directory Domain Services
- Managing Access Overview
- Assigning Permissions to Shared Resources
- Managing NTFS File and Folder Permissions
- Determining Effective Permission
Lesson 5: Configuring Active Directory Objects and Trusts
- Delegating Administrative Access to AD DS Objects
- Configuring AD DS Trusts
Lesson 6: Creating and Configuring Group Policy
- Overview of Group Policy
- Configuring the Scope of Group Policy Objects
- Evaluating the Application of Group Policy Objects
- Managing Group Policy Objects
- Delegating Administrative Control of Group Policy
Lesson 7: Configuring User Environments Using Group Policy
- Configuring Group Policy Settings
- Configuring Scripts and Folder Redirection Using
- Group Policy
- Configuring Administrative Templates
- Configuring Group Policy Preferences
- Deploying Software Using Group Policy
- Introduction to Group Policy Troubleshooting
- Troubleshooting Group Policy Application
- Troubleshooting Group Policy Settings
Lesson 8: Implementing Security Using Group Policy
- Configuring Security Policies
- Implementing Fine-Grained Password Policies
- Restricting Group Membership and Access to Software
- Managing Security Using Security Templates
Lesson 9: Configuring Server Security Compliance
- Securing a Windows Infrastructure
- Configuring an Audit Policy
- Overview of Windows Server Update Services
- Managing WSUS
- Planning for Security Update Management
Lesson 10: Configuring and Managing Storage Technologies
- Windows Server 2008 Storage Management Overview
- Managing Storage Using File Server Resource Manager
- Configuring Quota Management
- Implementing File Screening
- Managing Storage Reports
- Troubleshooting Storage Issues
Lesson 11: Configuring and Managing Distributed File System
- DFS Overview
- Configuring DFS Namespaces
- Configuring DFS Replication
- Configure DFS replication
Lesson 12: Configuring Network Access Protection
- Overview of Network Access Protection
- How NAP Works
- Configuring NAP
- Monitoring and Troubleshooting NAP
Lesson 13: Configuring Availability of Network Resources
- Configuring Shadow Copies
- Providing Server and Service Availability
Lesson 14: Monitoring and Maintaining Windows Server 2008 Servers
- Planning Monitoring Tasks
- Calculating a Server Baseline
- Measuring Performance Objects
- Analyzing key performance counters
- Selecting Appropriate Monitoring Tools
- Planning Notification Methods
- Overview of Windows Server 2008 Maintenance Tasks
- Automating Windows Server 2008 Maintenance
Lesson 15: Managing Windows Server 2008 Backup and Restore
- Planning Backups with Windows Server 2008
- Planning Backup Policy on Windows Server 2008
- Planning a Server Restore Policy
- Planning an EFS Restore Policy
- Verifying Restored Data