Gain Tips and Strategies From Experienced Practitioners
Are you fully prepared to handle workers' compensation claims? This strategic course walks you through the step-by-step practicalities of handling a workers' compensation case, from initial intake through the hearing process. Whether you represent the claimant or the defendant, you'll gain the knowledge you need to effectively advise and zealously defend your client's position. Register today!
- Skillfully work up your cases, knowing the process and procedures to follow.
- Discover the key elements and facts to confirm during the initial investigation.
- Get up to speed on how to handle Medicaid liens, Medicare set-asides and dual eligibility settlements.
- Gain a better understanding of the applicable statutes, regulations and case law.
- Confidently represent your clients in workers' compensation hearings.
- Learn opposing counsel's strategies so you can anticipate actions and proactively plan for reactions.
- OVERVIEW OF LAWS AND CONCEPTS
9:00 - 10:00, William J. Wahoff
- Ohio Workers' Compensation Laws
- Scope of Employer Liability
- Who is Covered? - Employees, Independent Contractors, Subcontractors
- Compensability? - Injuries and Occupational Diseases
- Affirmative Defenses
- Extraterritorial Application of State Laws
- Non-Occupational Disability Benefit Laws
- Types of Benefits and Claims
- Statute and Case Law Update
- Differences Between Ohio Monopolistic Jurisdictions and Private Insurance States
- TYPES OF COMPENSATION/INDEMNITY
10:15 - 11:00, William J. Wahoff
- PREPARING YOUR CASE: PROCEDURES FOR CLAIMANT AND DEFENDANT
11:00 - 11:45, Michael L. Weber
- Claimant's Attorney: Intake, Investigation and Case Preparation
- Defendant's Attorney: Receipt of the File, Investigation and Case Preparation
- MEDICARE SET-ASIDES, MEDICAID LIENS AND OTHER SETTLEMENT CONSIDERATIONS
11:45 - 12:45, J. Kent Breslin
- Determining the Value of the Claim
- Mediation Strategy
- Medicaid Liens - What You Need to Know Now
- Medicare Set-Aside (MSA) Considerations and Medicare Secondary Payer Act (MSPA) Requirements
- Dual Medicare and Medicaid Eligibility Settlements
- HEARINGS: PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE
1:45 - 2:15, Joanne W. Glass
- RECOVERY FROM THIRD PARTIES
2:15 - 3:15, J. Kent Breslin
- ETHICAL OBLIGATIONS
3:30 - 4:30, Samuel M. Duran
- Rules of Professional Conduct
- Communication with Other Parties
- Attorneys' Fees
- Lawyer Liability
This basic-to-intermediate level program provides practical information on workers' compensation claim procedures for:
- In-House Counsel
- Workers' Compensation Administrators
- Insurance Claim/Risk Managers
- Human Resources Professionals