Collect Years of Title Experience in One Day
In preparation for this practical, nuts and bolts course, veteran title practitioners across the nation were asked what they consider the top defects they've had to resolve over the last few years. The responses were compiled and now experienced faculty is ready to take you through the list of problems most often encountered and increasingly litigated. They'll provide you with best practices for curing each one in an engaging presentation of real-life scenarios and examples. Collect years of experience in resolving defects in one full-day course. Register today!
- Learn best practices for curing the most common defects that attorneys are encountering today, so you can ensure a clear title.
- Prevent real estate transactions from falling through because of a break in the chain of title, legal description errors or unreleased secured loans.
- Find out how experienced practitioners are curing access, easement and encroachment problems.
- Obtain releases for judgment liens, mechanics' liens and other claimed interests attached to real property.
- Confidently satisfy missed tax liens or redeem unpaid taxes bought by tax purchasers.
- Don't let missing information in the title stall probate procedures upon the property owner's death.
- Understand how to handle mortgage fraud and improper actions by closing agents.
- Ensure it's possible to obtain title insurance coverage against any remaining problems.
#9– Break in Chain of Title
9:00 - 9:40, Alexia Constantaras and Suzanne C. Odom
- Missing Documents
- Name Variances of the Grantor/Grantee
- Inclusion of all Proper Parties on Documents
#8– Rights of Third Parties
9:40 - 10:15, Alexia Constantaras and Suzanne C. Odom
- Rights of Off-Record Third Parties
- Right of First Refusal or Option Missed
- Unrecorded Leases
#7 – Easements/Encroachments/Setback Issues
10:30 - 11:10, Orlando Lucero
- Access of the Premises (Common Driveways, Private Roads, Partial Interests to Recreational Land, etc.)
- Indefinite and Unclear Easements
- Encroachments of a Significant Nature
- Violation of Setback Requirements
- CC&Rs and Equitable Servitudes
- Waterfront Issues Related to Reliction and Accretion
- Railroad and Mineral Rights
#6 – Legal Description Errors
11:10 - 11:50, William K. Wooten
- Incorrect or Incomplete Legal Description
- Discrepancies Between Legal Description in Mortgage and Legal Description as Assessed by the City/Village/Township
#5 – Foreclosure Issues
12:50 - 1:30, Orlando Lucero
- Defective Mortgage Foreclosure
- Failure to Notify or Serve all Necessary Parties
#4 – Estate Issues
1:30 - 2:10, Kelcey Nichols and Thomas A. Simons IV
- Missing Estate or Heir Information in the Chain of Title
- Dower or Homestead Issues (Missing Marital Status, Missing Homestead Language, etc.)
- Unprobated Estate Interests
- Powers of Attorney – Improper Execution of “Fresh” POA or Defective “Old” POA
- Life Estates Reserved
#3 – Judgments and Liens
2:10 - 3:00, Kelcey Nichols and Thomas A. Simons IV
- Unsatisfied Judgment Liens Which Have or Haven't Been Paid Off
- Failure to Obtain Releases of Mechanics' Liens
- Springing Liens or Claimed Interests in Property
- Lis Pendens
#2 – Unpaid Taxes
3:15 - 3:40, Alexia Constantaras and Suzanne C. Odom
#1 – Fraud and Forgery
3:40 - 4:30, Kelcey Nichols and Thomas A. Simons IV
- Fraud or Forgery in Conveyance
- Closing Agent Issues – Defalcation and Claims on Closing Protection Letters
This intermediate level course provides practical information on the most often encountered defects for:
- Real Estate Professionals
- Title Professionals
- Settlement Agents