Properly Administer Your Client's Estate
Do you have a solid understanding of proper procedures surrounding estate administration? Do you feel confident that you can overcome the wide array of challenges you may face while working with each estate's unique requirements? Join us and gain a comprehensive understanding of the estate planning process so you can easily organize and manage your responsibilities. Register today!
- Weigh the pros and cons of informal administration and learn how it can be advantageously used.
- Make the entire process as efficient as possible when working with the personal representative.
- Determine the survivors' immediate needs - and ensure they're met.
- Know your options: take a look at alternative methods to closing the estate.
- Competently file federal and state estate tax returns and know exactly what is required.
- Learn how to handle the most common issues in probate litigation.
- FOUNDATIONS OF ESTATE ADMINISTRATION DEFINED
8:30 - 9:15, Gregory C. Hamilton
- Identifying Probate and Non-Probate Assets
- Understanding the Various Forms of Administration
- Considerations for the Small Estate
- Knowing the Advantages and Disadvantages of Informal Administration and Complying With the Procedures
- PREPARING TO BEGIN THE ADMINISTRATION PROCESS
9:15 - 10:15, Gregory C. Hamilton
- Understanding the Laws of Intestacy and How They Affect the Estate
- Knowing What to Get Out of the Client Interview
- Determining the Survivors' Immediate Needs
- Examining the Safe Deposit Box: Identifying Important Documents
- Locating the Will and Knowing What to Do Next
- Considerations in Appointing and Counseling the Personal Representative
- Practical Tips for Obtaining Information Concerning Assets
- Renunciations and Election of Statutory Share
- Using Disclaimers Correctly
- Notice Requirements
- CONSIDERATIONS FOR COLLECTING THE ASSETS, PREPARING THE INVENTORY AND HANDLING CLAIMS AGAINST THE ESTATE
10:30 - 11:30, Robert L. Byington
- Practical Procedures for Opening Estate Accounts
- Obtaining Tax Identification Number and Title to Assets
- Canceling Utilities and Credit Cards
- Best Strategies for Preparing the Inventory
- Medicare, Insurance Claims and Public Assistance: Understanding the Paperwork Involved
- Priority of Concern: Following the Chain of Command in Allowances, Claims and Taxes
- BEING THOROUGH TO CLOSE THE ESTATE WITHOUT A HITCH
11:30 - 12:30, Robert L. Byington
- Alternative Methods: Knowing Your Options
- Timing of Distributions: How Long Do Beneficiaries Have to Wait Until They Get Their Money?
- Steps Involved in Transferring Jointly-Held Assets
- Transferring Other Probate and Non-Probate Assets
- Considerations for Handling Distributions to Minors and Trusts
- Ensuring Thorough Accounting and Settlement of the Estate
- Compensation and Discharge of the Personal Representative
- UNDERSTANDING TAX PROCEDURES TO AVOID PROBLEMS LATER
1:30 - 2:30, John T. Klees
- Overview of Tax Compliance and Post-Mortem Planning: What You Need to Know
- What You Need to Know to Prepare the Decedent's Final Income Tax Return
- Filing Requirements for Federal and State Estate Tax Returns
- How the Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax Affects Your Clients
- Handling Distribution to Minors and Trusts
- Accurate and Inclusive Valuation of Assets
- Determining Alternatives for the Surviving Spouse: Disclaimers, Rights and Options
- ETHICAL CHALLENGES IN ESTATE ADMINISTRATION
2:30 - 3:30, Katie Lynwood
- Determining Who the Client Is
- Representing An Estate: Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
- Informing the Client of the Status of the Estate
- Filing Claims: Why it is Imperative to Meet the Deadlines
- COMMON ISSUES TO BE PREPARED FOR IN LITIGATION AND PROBATE
3:45 - 4:40, Katie Lynwood
- Title and Discovery of Assets
- Contested Claims and Contingent Liabilities
- Marital Agreement Concerns
- Contested Wills and Alternatives: Is it Valid to Disagree?
This basic level seminar will provide fundamental estate administration topics for:
- Trust Officers
- Estate Planners
- Tax Preparers
- Financial Planners