This course is intended for personnel who may be exposed to temperature extremes at hazardous waste sites. Heat-related illness is a major hazard, especially for workers wearing personal protective clothing. Cold-related injuries can cause loss of limbs or even death. The content in this course is designed to comply with the intent of the applicable regulatory requirements.
Learner objectives are to identify heat-related illnesses that can result from exposure to hot temperatures, specify first aid measures for heat-related illness, identify individual factors that affect the body's ability to withstand hot temperatures, specify steps to avoid or reduce heat-related illness, specify conditions and injuries that can result from exposure to cold temperatures, specify first aid measures for frostbite and hypothermia, identify individual factors that affect the body's ability to withstand cold temperatures, and recognize measures for preventing injuries related to cold temperature exposure.
This course was developed with subject matter support provided by EnSafe Inc., a global professional services company focusing on engineering, environment, health and safety, and information technology.Learning Objectives
- Identify symptoms of heat-related illnesses
- Identify first aid measures for treating heat-related illnesses
- Identify ways to stay healthy in the heat
- Identify individual factors to avoid or reduce heat-related illness
- Identify conditions and injuries that can result from exposure to cold temperatures
- Identify first aid measures for cold-related injuries and illnesses
- Identify measures for preventing cold-related illness and injury