This activity-based course covers the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) requirements for packaging and shipping infectious materials by highway within the United States. The course puts you into situations where you'll classify the type of infectious substance being shipped, select the proper shipping name from the DOT Hazardous Materials Table, and determine the proper packaging, marking, labeling, and shipping paper requirements for infectious substances. This course does not address the requirements for shipping infectious substances by aircraft, rail, or vessel.
This course was developed with subject matter support provided by EnSafe Inc., a global professional services company focusing on engineering, environment, health and safety, and information technology. Learning Objectives
- Differentiate between Category A and Category B infectious substances
- Identify the appropriate shipping name and number for a DOT-regulated infectious substance
- Package and ship a Category A DOT-regulated infectious substance
- Package and ship a Category B DOT-regulated infectious substance
- Package and ship a regulated medical waste