This course addresses how to prevent fires and recognize fire hazards. It will also discuss what actions to take in the event of a fire, including the proper use of portable fire extinguishers. The content in this course is designed to comply with the intent of the applicable regulatory requirements and best practice guidelines.
Learner objectives are to define the chemistry of fire, recognize common fire hazards, classify types of fires and fire extinguishers, identify the general requirements of egress or exit standards, specify how to prevent workplace fires, identify how to respond to a fire, and specify the proper use of portable fire extinguishers.
This course was developed with subject matter support provided by the Pinchin Group of Companies, an environmental health and safety consulting firm with offices across Canada.Learning Objectives
- Identify the characteristics of fire
- Select the type of fire extinguisher to use on different types of fires
- Identify the general requirements of evacuation standards
- Identify how to prevent workplace fires
- Identify how to respond to a specific situation during a fire emergency
- Identify characteristics of handheld fire extinguishers
- Identify the correct fire extinguisher to use on a particular type of material