This course is designed to better inform the employee of the possible health and safety concerns unique to trenching and excavation. The content in this course is designed to comply with the intent of the applicable regulatory requirements. Learner objectives are to list factors to consider before trenching and excavation begins, identify the purpose of the site assessment, describe the purpose of a trench box, specify different types of excavation, sloping, and shoring principles, recognize other hazards that are present in excavation work, and identify the cause of excavation and trenching-related fatalities.
This course was developed with subject matter support provided by EnSafe Inc., a global professional services company focusing on engineering, environment, health and safety, and information technology.Learning Objectives
- Identify factors to consider before trenching and excavation begins
- Identify the steps to take when locating underground installations
- Identify key concepts associated with different types of excavation, sloping, and shoring
- Identify various methods used to prevent cave-ins
- Identify the purpose of a trench box
- Identify practices that reduce hazards present in excavation work