Nuts and Bolts of Collection Law Training Course
Course ID: 189718
Ensure Your Clients Get Paid
Winning a judgment against a bad debt doesn't necessarily mean cash in hand. Do you have a firm grasp of the procedures for legally collecting that debt? Are your recovery actions in compliance with the strict guidelines governing collection? Don't rush in unprepared. Maximize your chances of recovery with the practical steps provided in this strategic seminar. Enroll today!
- Avoid collection activities that violate the FDCPA and/or state laws.
- Learn best practices for discovering debtor assets both pre- and post-judgment.
- Recognize what provisional and final remedies are available for creditors to collect what is owed.
- Walk through the procedural steps for executing wage garnishments, judgment liens, attachments and other methods of collection.
- Know the creditor's rights when collecting debt and when the debtor files for bankruptcy.
- THE FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT (FDCPA) AND STATE COLLECTION LAWS
9:00 - 10:00, Christopher J. Somma
- Scope of the FDCPA
- Understanding the Actions Permitted or Restricted by the Act
- Demand Letters: Pitfalls to Avoid
- Liability and Defenses
- State Collection Laws and Their Application/Preemption
- HOW TO FIND DEBTORS AND THEIR ASSETS
10:00 - 10:30, Steven H. Slovenski
- Prejudgment Discovery Methods
- Personal vs. Business Assets
- Replevin/Self-Help Repossession Considerations
- OBTAINING A JUDGMENT: A PROCEDURAL GUIDE
10:45 - 11:45, Christopher J. Somma
- Filing the Lawsuit
- Service of Process
- Affirmative Defenses and Counterclaims
- Judgments (Default, Summary, etc.)
- COLLECTING A JUDGMENT: A PROCEDURAL GUIDE
11:45 - 12:15 and 1:15 - 2:15, George H. Thompson Jr.
- Motions for Periodic Payment of Judgments
- Pre and Post Judgment Attachments
- Wage and Bank Account Attachments
- Exemptions by Debtors
- Dealing with Fraudulent Transfers
- Post-Judgment Discovery
- Writ of Execution/Seize and Sale by Sheriff
- CREDITORS' RIGHTS WHEN A DEBTOR FILES BANKRUPTCY
2:15 - 3:15, Richard McPartlin
- ETHICAL ISSUES IN COLLECTION
3:30 - 4:30, Steven H. Slovenski
- Communication With Clients and Other Parties
- Unauthorized Practice of Law
Or fill out the information as a first time user:
Live Instructor-led Nuts and Bolts of Collection Law Training Dates
Online Self-Paced Nuts and Bolts of Collection Law Training Options
No online results