Historically, companies have managed their own environmental challenges in response to external pressure from government agencies, environmental interest groups, and citizens focusing mainly on regulatory compliance. Today, companies recognize the importance of sound environmental management practices that result in economic gain.
The International Organization for Standardization (ISO) is a worldwide federation of national standards bodies. International standards covering environmental management are intended to provide organizations with the elements of an effective environmental management system (EMS) that can be integrated with other management requirements and help organizations achieve environmental and economic needs.
The standards require that "each organization shall establish, document, implement, maintain, and continually improve an environmental management system in accordance with the requirements of the international standard and determine how it will fulfill these requirements." Additionally, all employees and contractors of ISO 14001 certified companies must be aware of the importance of conformance with the company's environmental policy, the roles and responsibilities associated with achieving conformance to the environmental policy (including preparedness and response requirements), and the potential consequences of departure from specified operating procedure.
In this course, learners will be introduced to the important concepts of EMS and find out how these apply to their own company's EMS.
SkillSoft Corporation is not affiliated with or sponsored by the ISO and does not have a relationship with the ISO. As such, SkillSoft is not authorized or approved to act on behalf of the ISO, and is not authorized by ISO to sell or deliver ISO owned products or services.Learning Objectives
- Identify key concepts related to ISO 14001
- Match stages in the Plan-Do-Check-Act cycle of an EMS with examples
- Classify examples as environmental aspects or impacts
- Recognize the requirements for setting objectives for an EMS
- Identify key requirements of implementation of an EMS according to ISO 14001
- Identify ISO 14001 requirements related to operational procedures and control
- Identify the types of procedures required to monitor, measure, analyze and evaluate company operations that are required to meet ISO 14001 requirements
- Identify key activity areas associated with acting on an EMS to ensure continuous improvement