To introduce the main principles and elements of the Java languageLearning Objectives
- Overview of the Java language - recognize the use of objects, classes, inheritance, and polymorphism in Java.
- A first Java application - specify the code involved in declaring a main method and identify the command lines used to compile and run an application.
- Creating and running a Java application - create, compile, and execute a Java application.
- Basic lexical elements in Java - specify the appropriate Java lexical element to use for a given scenario.
- Primitive types and literals in Java - specify the code involved in declaring primitive variables and defining literal values in Java.
- Strings and arrays in Java - specify the code used to declare and initialize Java string literals and arrays.
- Working with Java data types - declare and initialize Java data types, strings, and arrays in a given scenario.
Programmers with an understanding of procedural programming concepts who want to learn Java and object-oriented programming; programmers proficient in another object-oriented programming language who want to move to Java; programmers experienced in the Java language who want to take the Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform, Standard Edition 5.0 exam