Hone Your Skills as an Expert UM/UIM Practitioner
Statistics say that six out of ten drivers on the road carry inadequate or no insurance. With the largely voluntary nature of UM/UIM insurance coverage and rapidly changing statutory and case law, you have your work cut out for you. Don't struggle through the mountains of legalese alone. Join us at an engaging analysis of current issues in the law and practice of UM/UIM and get the latest legislative updates along with a balanced view of today's challenges. Register today!
- Analyze real-life insurance coverage scenarios and find out how the courts have interpreted the language.
- Discover what tests are used to clarify the 'made whole' doctrine.
- Get the most out of your medical experts during discovery and in hearings: learn what to ask and how to do it.
- Accurately determine realistic damages to strengthen your position during negotiations.
- Interpret policy limitations and specifications to obtain the most favorable financial outcome for your clients.
- Use effective discovery techniques to find out whether subrogation is feasible and worth it.
- Is a case worth the effort? Take liens and rights of reimbursement into account before the negotiations start.
- Present a realistic settlement demand and support it with conclusive evidence to reinforce your credibility and promote settlement.
- Use the most effective mediation and arbitration strategies to achieve the best settlement possible.
- Let our networking roundtable help you with some of your most difficult issues.
- DETERMINING COVERAGE AND VALUING DAMAGES IN UM/UIM CASES
9:00 - 10:00, Written by Toby R. Carpenter and Thomas Horne. Presented by Thomas Horne in Chattanooga and Toby R. Carpenter in Knoxville.
- Legislative and Case Law Update
- Which Exceptions Apply in Your Case?
- 5 Difficult Scenarios of Insurance Coverage Interpretation
- How Much are Your Limbs Worth? Clarifying the Definition of "Serious Injury"
- Determining Loss of Capacity
- The Complexities of Applying the "Made Whole" Doctrine
- Valuing Soft Tissue and Emotional Distress
- Managing the Complexities of Wrongful Death Claims - Who is the Plaintiff?
- Tips for Working with Medical Experts
- STACKING INSURANCE COVERAGE AND UNINSURED MOTORIST SET-OFFS
10:15 - 11:15, Written by Thomas Horne and Robert M. Stivers Jr. Presented by Thomas Horne in Chattanooga and Robert M. Stivers Jr. in Knoxville.
- When is a Negligent Motorist Considered Underinsured?
- Debating the Stacking of Limits for Private and Commercial Policyholders - What do the Courts Say?
- When is a Stacking Waiver No Longer Useful?
- Multiple Coverages
- Stacking in Cases of a Driver vs. Passenger
- Excess of Liability
- Uninsured Motorist Off-Sets: When is the Insurer Entitled to a Set-Off?
- Sample Off-Set Provisions
- Handling Common Uninsured Motorist Set-Offs
- Workers Compensation
- Social Security
- Personal Injury Settlements
- Arbitrator Considerations
- PROCEDURAL TIPS AND TECHNIQUES FOR HANDLING SUBROGATION, RIGHTS OF REIMBURSEMENT AND LIENS
11:15 - 12:00, Written by Dana S. Dalton and Thomas Horne. Presented by Thomas Horne in Chattanooga and Dana S. Dalton in Knoxville.
- Relevant Statutory and Case Law Update
- Identifying Liens and Determining Their Priority
- Effective Tools for Streamlining the Subrogation Process
- Subrogation of PIP
- EFFECTIVE SETTLEMENT NEGOTIATIONS AND ARBITRATION
1:00 - 1:45, Written by Dana S. Dalton and William J. Rieder. Presented by William J. Rieder in Chattanooga and Dana S. Dalton in Knoxville.
- Current Law and Latest Court Rulings
- Negotiation Techniques of the Masters
- Using Mediation to Your Advantage
- Arbitration vs. Litigation
- Gaining an Edge with Superior Document Submissions
- BAD FAITH - AN INDELIBLE PART OF UM/UIM PRACTICE?
1:45 - 2:30, Written by Dana S. Dalton and James F. Exum III. Presented by James F. Exum III in Chattanooga and Dana S. Dalton in Knoxville.
- SPECIAL ISSUES THAT CAN MAKE OR BREAK YOUR CASE
2:45 - 3:30, Written by Toby R. Carpenter and William J. Rieder. Presented by William J. Rieder in Chattanooga and Toby R. Carpenter in Knoxville.
- Preparation and Preservation of Claims
- Handling Conflicts of Law with Other States
- What if the Car has Caused an Accident Without Direct Contact?
- How Will the Latest Appellate Court Decisions Affect Your Practice?
- LEGAL ETHICS IN INSURANCE PRACTICE
3:30 - 4:30, Written by James F. Exum III and Robert M. Stivers Jr. Presented by James F. Exum III in Chattanooga and Robert M. Stivers Jr. in Knoxville.
- Preserving Attorney-Client Privilege
- Determining and Collecting Attorneys' Fees
- Avoiding Conflicts of Interest in Multiple Representation
This intermediate-to-advanced level seminar will provide an insightful discussion of the realities of UM/UIM practice beneficial for:
- In-House Counsel