How to Effectively Collect Debt: Step-by-Step
Staying in regulatory compliance while attempting to collect a debt has never been more important! In this comprehensive and critical guide, you'll walk step-by-step through the collection process, gain effective techniques AND ensure compliancy. Get the fundamental tools you need to legally collect debt, locate assets, garnish wages, attach liens and more - ALL while remaining compliant under the CFPB and FDCPA. Order today for this timely program!
- Avoid the swarm of new penalties and lawsuits under the FDCPA.
- Add attorney's fees to collection matters without being sued.
- Steer clear of exposure to liability; know the FDCPA and recent changes.
- What type of property is subject to a lien? How do you attach a lien? Find out!
- Effectively locate assets, garnish accounts and attach liens.
- Understand how bankruptcy impacts collections.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- PRE-SUIT COLLECTION STRATEGIES
10:00 - 11:00, George E. Warner Jr.
- How to Decide Whether to Pursue Collection
- Preventative Collection - Collecting Without Filing a Lawsuit
- Designing a Collections System
- How to Discover Assets - Finding Property From Which to Collect
- THE FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT
11:15 - 12:15, Richard J. Perr
- Statutory Background and Preemption
- Scope of the FDCPA
- Understanding the Actions Permitted or Restricted by the Act
- Liability and Defenses
- FILING THE LAWSUIT - DEVELOPING DEFINITIVE STRATEGIES
12:15 - 1:15, Ronald S. Weiss
- Knowing the Debtor
- How to Effectively Get the Debtor's Attention
- Avoiding Counterclaims
- Obtaining Judgment
- COLLECTING THE JUDGMENT
1:45 - 2:45, Ronald S. Weiss
- Use of Judgment Liens on Real Property
- Use of Judgment Liens on Personal Property
- Self-Help Repossession
- Writs of Execution, Seize and Sale by Sheriff, Creditor Priority
- Wage Garnishment
- Exemptions by Debtor
- Fraudulent Conveyances
- THE IMPACT OF BANKRUPTCY ON COLLECTIONS
2:45 - 3:45, Nauni J. Manty
- Steps to Take When a Debtor Files Bankruptcy
- Chapter 7 - Liquidation, Automatic Stay, Dischargeability
- Chapter 13 - Reorganization, Automatic Stay, Dischargeability
- Means Testing and "Abusive Filing"
- Exemption Planning
- 707(a) and 707(b) Dismissal
- AVOIDING ETHICAL TANGLES IN COLLECTIONS
4:00 - 5:00, Richard J. Perr
- Eliminating Ethical Problems From Your Practice
- Zealous Representation or Vexatious Practices
- Lawyer Liability
- Attorneys' Fees
This program is designed for attorneys. Accountants and paralegals will also benefit.