Help Your Clients Meet Their Estate Planning Needs
Do you have a clear understanding of the basic tax issues, medical decisions, and planning documents that can complicate the estate planning and probate processes? Are you prepared to answer your clients' tough questions about planning for final wishes? Attend this seminar to gain insight into the fundamentals of preparing estate planning documents, including wills, trusts, and ancillary documents. Discover the pros and cons of using various types of documents, as well as the tax ramifications involved. Register today!
- Choose the planning document that is best suited for your client.
- Provide protection for minors, incompetent persons, and beneficiaries with special needs.
- Learn how and when to use revocable living trust, pour-over wills, and durable powers of attorney.
- Reduce your clients' future tax burdens.
- Properly use powers of attorney and advance directives to help clients plan for incapacity.
- Handle ethical issues that arise in estate planning, such as competency of the client and conflicts of interest.
- FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES OF WILL DRAFTING
9:00 - 10:15 Written by James M. Miskell. Presented by Mandy Moyer in Macon and James M. Miskell in Smyrna.
- Selecting the Vehicle - Initial Advice to the Client
- Checklist for Gathering Client Information
- The Statutory ABCs: What is Required?
- Methods of Designating Fiduciaries
- Disinheritance and No Contest Clauses - Will They Stand?
- Protective Clauses for Minors, Incompetent Persons and Beneficiaries With Special Needs
- Building Flexibility Into the Plan - Checklist of Special Provisions
- Practical Pointers With Sample Forms
- Developing a Document Preparation System
- USING LIVING TRUSTS AND POWERS OF ATTORNEY AS ESTATE PLANNING TOOLS
10:30 - 11:45 Written by James M. Miskell. Presented by Tanner W. Pittman in Macon and James M. Miskell in Smyrna.
- Common Elements in Trust Agreements
- The Revocable Living Trust - Why You Should Use It
- Disadvantages of Revocable Living Trusts
- Sample Pour-Over Will and Living Trust Agreements
- Durable Powers of Attorney
- BASIC TAX CONSIDERATIONS - WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW IN ORDER TO CHOOSE THE APPROPRIATE PLAN
12:45 - 2:00 Written by James B. Swain. Presented by Kort D.L. Peterson in Macon and James B. Swain in Smyrna.
- Tax Considerations of Drafting Living or Testamentary Trusts
- Estate and Gift Taxes
- Generation-Skipping Transfer Taxes
- Income Tax - Ramifications of Trusts
- ETHICS AND ESTATE PLANNING
2:15 - 3:15 Written by Wallace R. Nichols. Presented by Tanner W. Pittman in Macon and Wallace R. Nichols in Smyrna.
- Selected Ethical Rules Affecting the Estate Planner
- Who's Your Client? Conflict of Interest
- Competency - A Word to the Wise
- Practice Before the IRS
- Attorney Fees
- PLANNING FOR INCAPACITY
3:15 - 4:30 Written by Debra L. Scott. Presented by Tanner W. Pittman in Macon and Debra L. Scott in Smyrna.
- Using Revocable Trusts
- Georgia Healthcare Advance Directive
- Georgia Statutory Power of Attorney
- Issues Relating to Elder Financial Abuse
- Filing a Petition for Guardianship/Conservatorship
This basic level seminar will provide fundamentals of drafting wills and trusts for:
- Trust Officers
- Tax Professionals