Learn How to Accurately Handle Claims
Are you fully prepared to handle workers' compensation claims? This comprehensive course walks you through the step-by-step practicalities of handling a workers' compensation case, from initial intake through the hearing process. Whether you represent the claimant or the defendant, you'll gain the knowledge you need to effectively advise and zealously defend your client's position. Order today!
- Skillfully work up your cases, knowing the laws and concepts to follow.
- Discover the key elements and facts to confirm during the initial investigation.
- Learn how to determine the value of the claim.
- Recognize the medical evaluation and discovery issues surrounding claims.
- Don't let Medicare break your settlement: get up to speed on how to handle Medicare set asides.
- Gain a better understanding of the applicable statutes, regulations and case law.
- Confidently represent your clients in workers' compensation hearings.
- Learn opposing counsel's strategies so you can anticipate actions and proactively plan for reactions.
This is a rebroadcast of the original webcast delivered by Brandy L. Johnson, Brad Kolling and T. Brian Tobin on April 11, 2019. Faculty will be available to answer your questions after the program.
10:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
- OVERVIEW OF LAWS AND CONCEPTS
10:00 - 10:45, Brad Kolling
- Scope of Employer Liability
- Who is Covered? - Employees, Independent Contractors, Subcontractors
- Compensability? - Injuries and Occupational Diseases
- Affirmative Defenses
- Extraterritorial Application of State Laws
- Non-Occupational Disability Benefit Laws
- Types of Benefits and Claims
- Statute and Case Law Update
- PREPARING YOUR CASE: PROCEDURES FOR CLAIMANT AND DEFENDANT
10:45 - 11:30, T. Brian Tobin
- Claimant's Attorney: Intake, Investigation and Case Preparation
- Defendants' Attorney: Receipt of the File, Investigation and Case Preparation
- DETERMINING THE VALUE OF THE CLAIM
11:45 - 12:30, Brad Kolling
- MEDICAL ISSUES DURING THE CLAIM
12:30 - 1:15, Brandy L. Johnson
- Medical Discovery Issues
- Choice of Doctor
- Second Medical Opinions
- Medical Evaluation Issues and IMEs
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Functional Capacity Evaluations
- MEDICARE SET-ASIDES, MEDICAID LIENS AND OTHER SETTLEMENT CONSIDERATIONS
1:45 - 2:30, T. Brian Tobin
- Mediation Strategy
- Medicaid Liens - What You Need to Know Now
- Medicare Set-Aside (MSA) Considerations and Medicare Secondary Payer Act (MSPA) Requirements
- Dual Medicare and Medicaid Eligibility Settlements
- HEARINGS: PRACTICE AND PROCEDURE
2:30 - 3:15, Brandy L. Johnson
- RECOVERY FROM THIRD PARTIES
3:30 - 4:00, T. Brian Tobin
- ETHICAL OBLIGATIONS
4:00 - 5:00, T. Brian Tobin
- Rules of Professional Conduct
- Communication with Other Parties
- Attorneys' Fees
- Lawyer Liability
This program provides practical information on workers' compensation claim procedures for attorneys. Others who may benefit include: in-house counsel, workers' compensation administrators, insurance claim/risk managers, human resources professionals, and paralegals.