In this course students will acquire the essential skills and information needed
to install, upgrade, repair, configure, troubleshoot, optimize, and perform
preventative maintenance of basic personal computer hardware and operating
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
identify the components of standard desktop personal computers.
fundamental components and functions of personal computer operating systems.
- identify best practices followed by professional personal computer
- install and configure computer components.
technical characteristics of system components.
- maintain and troubleshoot
- identify troubleshooting techniques for system
- install and configure operating systems.
- maintain and
troubleshoot installations of Microsoft Windows.
- identify network
- support laptops and portable computing devices.
- identify personal computer security concepts.
Lesson 1: Personal Computer Components
- Personal Computer Components
- System Unit Components
- Storage Devices
- Personal Computer Connection Methods
Lesson 2: Operating System Fundamentals
- Personal Computer Operating Systems
- Windows User Interface Components
- Windows File System Management
- Windows System Management Tools
Lesson 3: PC Technician Professional Best Practices
- Tools of the Trade
- Electrical Safety
- Environmental Safety and Materials Handling
- Perform Preventative Maintenance
- Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
- Professionalism and Communication
Lesson 4: Installing and Configuring Peripheral Components
- Install and Configure Display Devices
- Install and Configure Input Devices
- Install and Configure Multimedia Devices
Lesson 5: Examining System Components
- Storage Devices and Backup Media
- Power Supplies
- CPUs and Cooling System Units
- System Boards
Lesson 6: Maintaining and Troubleshooting Peripheral Components
- Troubleshoot Display Devices
- Maintain and Troubleshoot Input Devices
- Troubleshoot Multimedia Devices
Lesson 7: System Component Troubleshooting Techniques
- Adapter Card Troubleshooting
- Storage Device Troubleshooting
- Power Supply Troubleshooting
- Memory Troubleshooting
- CPU and Cooling System Troubleshooting
- System Board Troubleshooting
Lesson 8: Installing and Configuring Operating Systems
- Install Microsoft Windows
- Upgrade Windows
- Add Devices to Windows
- Optimize Windows
Lesson 9: Maintaining and Troubleshooting Microsoft Windows
- Operating System Utilities
- Back up Microsoft Windows
- Troubleshoot Microsoft Windows
- Microsoft Windows System Recovery Methods
Lesson 10: Network Technologies
- Network Concepts
- Network Communications
- Network Connectivity
- Internet Technologies
- Create Network Connections
Lesson 11: Supporting Laptops and Portable Computing Devices
- Laptop and Portable Computing Device Components
- Install and Configure Laptops and Portable Computing Devices
- Maintain and Troubleshoot Laptop and Portable Computing Devices
Lesson 12: Supporting Printers
- Printer Technologies
- Printer Components
- Printer Processes
- Install and Configure Printers
- Maintain and Troubleshoot Printers
Lesson 13: Personal Computer Security Concepts
- Security Fundamentals
- Security Protection Measures
- Wireless Security
- Social Engineering
- Maintain and Troubleshoot Security Measures
The target student is anyone with basic computer user skills who is interested
in obtaining a job as an IT professional or PC technician. In addition, this
course will help prepare students to achieve a CompTIA A+ Certification.
Virtual CompTIA A+ Certification - Essentials (2009 Objectives) Online Live training option
Imagine an industry-leading classroom training experience from wherever you have access to the Internet.
The Virtual Online Live events listed here gives you an effective and proven online virtual learning experience with the freedom to attend virtually from anywhere.
There is also an option of experiencing Online Live from one of the many national partner centers where a computer and headset will be provided for you.
This rich and engaging virtual classroom environment lets you conveniently interact with instructors and other students.
You will hear and see your instructor as they teach the course and answer your questions via voice or text.
Choose the online live virtual training option and you can access the recorded version even after the class has finished.
The onDemand labs give you access to the same client and server technologies covered in class so you can test, apply and hone your skills by accessing the labs before and even after the class.
Technical Requirements: a computer or laptop with a modern browser and high speed internet access along with one or two monitors.