We are committed to safeguarding the health of our attendees and speakers. This seminar has been moved to an online format due to public health concerns.
Trouble-Shooting Medicaid Practice
The area of government benefits is in constant flux - are you up to the task of educating and providing clients with all the financial and medical assistance that's available? This authoritative session will provide you with much needed answers to the complex questions on Medicaid eligibility, asset transfers and preservation, and final estate recovery. Let our distinguished faculty be your guides through the maze of government regulations and financial strategies, and lead you to the highest level of mastery - order today!
- Learn how the changes in the law affect asset preservation, and gain practical tips for working effectively within the legislative framework.
- Help clients qualify for federal assistance programs and still remain financially stable: know when and how to classify the resource as an asset or income.
- Battle the stigma of government assistance by tactfully educating your clients on their options.
- Discuss the effectiveness of various trusts as Medicaid qualifiers, and refine the use of the most successful ones.
- Help clients live out their lives comfortably: understand the interplay of various assistance programs.
- Spot and avoid mistakes that may cause the beneficiary to lose government benefits.
- Gain practical examples of the must-have provisions to include in special needs trusts.
- Find out what must be done with the remaining trust funds after the death of the client in order to avoid estate recovery.
- What happens when the client's income changes after Medicaid approval? Gain strategies for preserving the government benefits and re-applications for assistance.
- Utilize the expertise of your colleagues and address the most pressing issues of everyday practice in the course of an engaging discussion.
All times are shown in Eastern time
Presenters: Julia K. Price and Bailey Schiermeyer
- Medicaid Eligibility Requirements, Benefits and Application Process
8:30 - 9:30
- What are the Financial Criteria, How are They Computed? What Counts as Income and Resources?
- Exceptions for Eligibility Regardless of Financial Condition (e.g., TEFRA)
- What Aspects of Eligibility Criteria are Standard Nationwide and Which Vary by State?
- What are the Benefits Under the Different Types of Medicaid?
- Medicaid Fraud - What Not to Do
- Streamlining the Application Process - Electronic Submission Procedures
- Coordination of Benefits With Medicare and Other Insurance Coverage
9:30 - 10:30
- Medicare Set-Asides
- Veteran's Benefits
- Other Public Benefits
- Long-Term Care
- Asset Transfer Strategies
10:45 - 11:45
- Planning for Home Maintenance Costs
- Transferring Real Property
- Treatment of Annuities and Promissory Notes
- Self-Settled Trusts and Their Impact on Qualification
- The Importance of Timely Planning
- Advanced Tax Planning Techniques
- Protecting Assets
12:45 - 1:45
- Higher Income Applicants
- Fair Market Value
- Protecting the Effort and Resources of Relative Caregivers
- Protecting Dependents
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Other Techniques
- Estate Recovery Avoidance and Litigation
- Special Needs Trusts - Creation, Taxation and Administration
1:45 - 2:45
- Post-Eligibility Issues
3:00 - 4:00
- Medicaid Eligibility Appeals
- Changes in Income
- Unearned Income
- Spousal Impoverishment
- A Look to the Future: Adapting Your Practice to the Ever-Changing Environment
4:00 - 4:40
- Changes to the Medicaid and LTC Systems
- Prospective Payment Systems
- The Impact of the Baby Boomers' Retirement
This intermediate level session will provide an insightful discussion of complex Medicaid issues that will benefit:
- Accountants and CPAs
- Nursing Home Administrators
- Social Workers