Focus Your Efforts on Techniques That Work
This engaging course will take you through the basics of estate planning and beyond with old and new techniques that our attendees have voted to be the most effective in their practice. Find out what makes these 10 estate planning tools "superstars" and gain practical tips for maximizing their uses. Enroll today!
- A simple will remains one of the most effective tools in estate planning - learn how to phrase it to maximize its effectiveness.
- Gain practical tips for drafting legally defensible transaction agreements to make sure the gifts are properly documented.
- Help your client transfer a business to beneficiaries without diminishing its value or surrendering too much control.
- Protect yourself with thorough knowledge of laws and regulations governing the actions of fiduciaries.
- Learn why it's important to know when to file the tax return for grantor trusts.
- Determine whether a client qualifies as a beneficiary of a special needs trust and gain tips for drafting one.
- Don't reinvent the wheel - modify our sample trust documents to create airtight qualified personal residence trusts.
- Maximize your asset protection: learn how to make sure all your clients' assets are accounted for in the trust documents.
- Create clear final instructions and last wishes to lift the burden of funeral planning from heirs.
- Use spendthrift language in ILITs to limit the ability of beneficiaries to assign interest and creditors to make demands on the trustees to pay the debts of beneficiaries.
ADVANCE MEDICAL DIRECTIVES
8:30 - 9:15, Written by Rita K. Bacot. Presented by Mark W. Fry in New Orleans and Rita K. Bacot in Lafayette.
- Appointing the Right Health Care Proxy
- What to Include in a Living Will
- Durable Power of Attorney
- HIPAA Release Authorization
- Burial and Funeral Designations
9:15 - 10:00, Written by Rita K. Bacot. Presented by
Mark W. Fry in New Orleans and Rita K. Bacot in Lafayette.
- Checklist for Gathering Client Information
- Must-Have Provisions – Drafting Do's and Don'ts
- Building Flexibility Into the Plan – Checklist of Special Provisions
- Methods of Designating Fiduciaries
- Keeping the Clients Current on Their Wills
- Educating Your Clients on the Harm of Writing Someone Out of the Will
- Practical Pointers and Sample Will Review
ANNUAL EXCLUSION GIFTING
10:15 - 11:00, Written by Jack G. Wheeler. Presented by Eric M. Schorr in New Orleans and Jack G. Wheeler in Lafayette.
- Determining Recipients of the Gifts
- Choosing the Most Highly Appreciated Assets for Annual Gifting
- Minimizing Gift and GST Taxes
- Reporting to the IRS
- Maximizing Annual Exclusion and Lifetime Exemption Gifting
- Gifting Techniques
SUPPLEMENTAL NEEDS TRUSTS
11:00 - 11:40, Written by Eric M. Schorr. Presented by Eric M. Schorr in New Orleans and Jack G. Wheeler in Lafayette.
- What SNTs Can and Cannot Do for Your Client
- Assessing the Degree of the Beneficiary's Current and Future Disability and Needs
- Types of SNTs and Their Uses
- Basic Drafting Considerations
- SNT Funding, Administration and Termination
TAX AND ESTATE PLANNING FOR PENSION AND IRA ASSETS
11:40 - 12:15, Written by Rita K. Bacot. Presented by Denisse Y. Parrales in New Orleans and Rita K. Bacot, Lawrence D. Huter and Jack G. Wheeler in Lafayette.
- Beneficiary Designations
- Separate Shares for Beneficiaries
- Trusts and Beneficiaries
- Roth Conversions
- Bypass Trust Funding With IRAs
- Inherited IRAs
- Asset Protection
- Required Minimum Distributions
IRREVOCABLE LIFE INSURANCE TRUSTS
1:15 - 2:00, Written by Lawrence D. Huter. Presented by Denisse Y. Parrales in New Orleans and Lawrence D. Huter in Lafayette.
- Single Life and Second to Die Trusts
- Hanging and Flexible Crummey Powers
- GST Planning and Allocation of GST to Gifts
- Spousal Access and Wrap Trusts
QUALIFIED PERSONAL RESIDENCE TRUSTS
2:00 - 2:40, Written by Mark W. Fry. Presented by Mark W. Fry in New Orleans and Lawrence D. Huter in Lafayette.
2:55 - 3:30, Written by Denisse Y. Parrales. Presented by Denisse Y. Parrales in New Orleans and Jack G. Wheeler in Lafayette.
- Family Limited Partnerships
- Limited Liability Corporations
- S Corps
- Other Types of Entities
3:30 - 4:05, Written by Rita K. Bacot. Presented by Mark W. Fry in New Orleans and Jack G. Wheeler and Rita K. Bacot in Lafayette.
- Overview of the Wealth Transfer Charitable Tax Deduction
- Helping the Client Choose a Qualified Charity
- Requesting Donation Confirmation Documents From Charity
- Charitable Lead Trusts
- Charitable Remainder Trusts
- Generation Skipping Planning
- Charitable Giving and the Zero Estate Tax Plan
4:05 - 4:40, Written by Denisse Y. Parrales. Presented by
Denisse Y. Parrales in New Orleans and Lawrence D. Huter in Lafayette.
- Trust Protectors
This basic-to-intermediate level seminar offers an overview of the best practices in estate planning and will benefit:
- Financial planners
- Accountants and CPAs
- Trust officers