In this course, students will work with procedures and functions, understand objects, use expressions, variables and instrinsic functions, controlling program execution, work with recordsets, debug code and handle errors.TARGET AUDIENCE:
This upper level course is most appropriate for Access power users.COURSE OBJECTIVES:
In this 3-day class students will learn to unleash the programming power in Microsoft Access by using Visual Basic for Application (VBA).
LESSON 1 - GETTING STARTED
- Introduction to Programming in Access
- Why Program in Access?
- Understanding the Developmnet Environemnt
- Using Visula Baic Help
LESSON 2 - WORKING WITH PROCEDURES AND FUNCTIONS
- Understanding Modules
- Creating a Standard Module
- Understanding Procedures
- Creating a Sub Procedure
- Calling Procedures
- Using the Immediate Window to Call Procedures
- Creating a Function Procedure
- Naming Procedures
- Organizing Code and Procedures
- Working with the Code Editor
LESSON 3 - UNDERSTANDING OBJECTS
- Understanding Classes and Objects
- Navigating the Access Object Hierarchy
- Understanding Collections
- Using the Object Browser
- Working with the Application Object
- Understanding the Form Object
- Working with Properties
- Using the with Statement
- Working with Methods
- Understanding the DoCmd Object
- Working with Events
- Understanding the Order of Events
LESSON 4 - USING EXPRESSIONS, VARIABLES, AND INTRINSIC FUNCTIONS
- Understanding Expressions and Statements
- Declaring Variables
- Understanding Data Types
- Working with Variable Scope
- Working with Variable Lifetime
- Considering Variable Scope and Lifetime Together
- Using Intrinsic Functions
- Understanding Constants
- Using Intrinsic Constants
- Using Message Boxes
- Using Input Boxes
LESSON 5 - CONTROLLING PROGRAM EXECUTION
- Understanding Control-of-Flow Structures
- Working with Boolean Expressions
- Using the If...End If Decision Structures
- Using the Select Case...End Select Structure
- Using the For...Next Structure
- Using the For Each...Next Structure
- Using the Do...Loop Structure
- Guidelines for use of Branching Structures
LESSON 6 - WORKING WITH RECORDSETS
- Declaring and Creating Object Variables
- Working with the DAO Recordset Object
LESSON 7 - DEBUGGING CODE
- Understanding Errors
- Using Debugging Tools
- Setting Breakpoints
- Setting Break Expressions
- Using Break Mode during Run Mode
- Stepping through Code
- Determining the Value of Expressions
LESSON 8 - HANDLING ERRORS
- Understanding Error Handling
- Understanding VBAs Error Trapping Options
- Trapping Errors with the On Error Statement
- Understanding the Error Object
- Writing an Error-Handling Routine
- Working with Inline Error Handling
This upper level course is most appropriate for Access power users.
Virtual Access 2010 Programming with VBA Online Live training option
Imagine an industry-leading classroom training experience from wherever you have access to the Internet.
The Virtual Online Live events listed here gives you an effective and proven online virtual learning experience with the freedom to attend virtually from anywhere.
There is also an option of experiencing Online Live from one of the many national partner centers where a computer and headset will be provided for you.
This rich and engaging virtual classroom environment lets you conveniently interact with instructors and other students.
You will hear and see your instructor as they teach the course and answer your questions via voice or text.
Choose the online live virtual training option and you can access the recorded version even after the class has finished.
The onDemand labs give you access to the same client and server technologies covered in class so you can test, apply and hone your skills by accessing the labs before and even after the class.
Technical Requirements: a computer or laptop with a modern browser and high speed internet access along with one or two monitors.