This course provides information about planning for and responding to emergencies. The intent is to provide the learner with basic information on procedures that cover onsite emergencies such as an accidental release or spill of a hazardous chemical, fire emergencies, explosions, bomb threats, threats to security, or personal injuries. The content in this course is designed to comply with the intent of the applicable regulatory requirements.
Learner objectives are to define basic terminology associated with emergency response, recognize the presence of hazardous substances in an emergency, specify the risks associated with hazardous substances in an incident, specify the potential outcomes associated with an emergency created when hazardous substances are present, define the role and responsibilities of the Emergency Response Team, identify additional resources for more information regarding relevant standard operating procedures for emergency response, identify the requirements for air monitoring during emergency response, specify general site security and control procedures according to the emergency response plan and the US Department of Transportation's Emergency Response Guidebook, specify emergency reporting and communication methods, specify basic spill control, containment, and/or confinement operations within the capabilities of the resources and personal protective equipment available in your area, and specify basic decontamination procedures.
This course was developed with subject matter support provided by EnSafe Inc., a global professional services company focusing on engineering, environment, health and safety, and information technology.Learning Objectives
- Identify the definitions of basic emergency response terminology
- Identify the definitions for common roles in emergency response situations
- Identify hazardous substances and their associated risks
- Identify the responsibilities of an employee in an emergency situation involving hazardous materials
- Identify important components of an emergency response plan
- Identify responsibilities of the emergency response team
- Identify air monitoring requirements
- Identify key concepts related to communications during an emergency situation
- Identify the responsibilities of the Incident Commander
- Identify key concepts related to site control and evacuation procedures
- Identify non-emergency response situations
- Identify decontamination procedures and resources for medical assistance