We are committed to safeguarding the health of our attendees and speakers. This seminar has been moved to an online format due to public health concerns.
Stay on the Cutting Edge of Medicaid Practice
Skyrocketing health and long-term care costs are putting added pressure on your aging clients to find a way to afford assisted care. This focused course is dedicated to helping you offer the most current and effective Medicaid planning. Get detailed instruction on fulfilling all four eligibility criteria, with special focus on excluded assets, qualifying transfer techniques, and estate recovery rules. Order today!
- Hear the latest changes to Medicaid programs and rules.
- Clear up out-of-state coverage issues before applying for Medicaid.
- Find new ways to transfer assets without risking eligibility.
- Determine what assets count as "without saleable value" for purposes of qualified transfers.
- Walk through the Medicaid application, hearing and appeal steps; and get tips on speeding up the process.
- Make better use of waivers and estate recovery exemptions.
- Prevent malpractice with legal ethics guidance tailored to Medicaid practice challenges.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- IS MEDICAID RIGHT FOR YOUR CLIENT?
9:00 - 9:30, Daniel J. Jurkovic
- Is Medicaid the Right Solution for the Client?
- Citizenship and Residency
- Application for Other Benefits
- Client and Agency Responsibilities (Reporting Changes of Income)
- Out-of-State Coverage
- Medicaid Coverage vs. Private Alternatives
- Four Basic Eligibility Criteria in a Nutshell
- Partial Eligibility and Share of Cost
- Medicaid Programs and Rules Update
- EXCLUDED VS. COUNTABLE ASSETS
9:30 - 10:45, Shana Siegel
- Community Spouse Resource Allowance and CSRA Appeal
- Assets Without Saleable Value
- Insurance and Other Assets Being Converted
- When are Bank Accounts Excluded?
- Creating Burial Contracts/Funeral Trusts
- Disaster Relief Act and Other Excluded Government Payment Programs (Reparation Payments, Alaskan Native Claims, Nazi Persecution Payments, etc.)
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- Garden/Wood Plots and Other Property Used for Home Consumption
- Limits on Household Goods
- Income-Producing Property
- Insurance Settlements
- Life Estates/Life Leases and Their Impact on Estate Planning
- When Life Insurance Becomes Countable
- Stocks, Bonds, and Mutual Fund Shares
- Valuation of Assets for Eligibility Purposes
- INCOME ELIGIBILITY
11:00 - 11:30, Daniel J. Jurkovic
- How MAGI (Modified Adjusted Gross Income) is Calculated
- Common Risks to Income Eligibility
- Monthly Maintenance Need Allowance for the Community Spouse
- QUALIFYING ASSET TRANSFERS: WHICH TECHNIQUES WORK
12:30 - 1:45, Shana Siegel
- Timing of the Transfers
- DRA and Look-Back Period
- Transfer Penalty
- Penalty Beginning Date
- Partial Months of Ineligibility
- What Counts as a Gift for Purposes of Medicaid Planning?
- Repayment of Debts and Prepayment of Expenses: Creative Uses
- Recording Purchase of Exempt Assets
- Treatment of IRAs and Retirement Accounts
- Purchase of a Life Estate
- Planning with Promissory Notes and Annuities
- The Reverse Half-Loaf Income Technique
- How to Protect the Community Spouse
- Reverse Mortgage: Legitimate Solution or Scam Artist's Dream?
- Other Exempt Transfers
- APPLICATION PROCESS, APPEALS AND POST-ELIGIBILITY ISSUES
1:45 - 2:30, Daniel J. Jurkovic
- Application Procedure Step-by-Step
- Supporting Documentation to Include with the Submission
- Medicaid Fair Hearings Case Presentation Tips
- Crisis Planning to Shorten Penalty Period and Restore Eligibility
- Appeal Procedure
- Solving Overpayment Problems
- LIENS, ESTATE RECOVERY AND HARDSHIP WAIVERS
2:45 - 3:30, Carl G. Archer
- Estate Recovery Rules
- Hardship Waivers
- Estate Recovery Exemption with Qualified Long-Term Care Insurance Policy
- Claim Reduction
- LEGAL ETHICS
3:30 - 4:30, Carl G. Archer
- Conflicts of Interest when Representing Both Spouses
- Protecting Confidentiality
- Attorney Fees
- Mental Capacity in Elder Law
- Practical Scenarios - What Would You Do?
This basic level seminar will give you all the information you'll need to qualify clients for Medicaid and is designed for:
- Nursing Home Administrators
- Accountants and CPAs
- Financial Planners
- Investment Advisers
- Geriatric Care Managers