Avoid Costly Litigation with Sophisticated Negotiation Strategies
In this practical and unique legal course, experienced faculty will provide an inside look at the decision-making strategies and communication tactics used by veteran personal injury attorneys and insurance professionals in injury claim negotiations. You'll learn inside tips and secrets every personal injury attorney can use to maximize their client's settlement in a shorter amount of time. Insurance adjusters will also benefit by being able to gain a better understanding of the plaintiff's perspective. Locate all potential sources of coverage and find out how to better communicate with insurance adjusters through sophisticated negotiation techniques - register today!
- Resolve insurance claims quickly and efficiently with time-tested negotiating strategies.
- Write demand letters that spur cooperation and get the important documents you need in a shorter amount of time.
- Analyze different negotiation styles, find out which style is best for each situation and learn how to use them effectively.
- Recognize when the negotiations are likely to fail and quickly and accurately determine your next course of action, including how to effectively go beyond the adjuster's settlement authority if need be.
- Learn secrets for how adjusters investigate the incident scene.
- Uncover what to include in the settlement package to incentivize the claim and enhance its value.
- Investigating the Claim
9:00 - 10:15,
Alan R. Lewis
- Policy Examination: Locating all Potential Sources of Insurance Coverage
- Researching the Facts and Issues of the Case
- Incident Scene Investigation
- Photographs and Other Critical Evidence
- Witness and Client Interviews
- Requesting Documents
- Asset Searches
- Get to Know Your Adjuster
- Drafting Demand Letters and Other Documents That Get Results
10:30 - 11:45,
Scott M. Peterson
- Drafting a Notification Letter to Start Your Case Off Strong
- Providing Notification to all Relevant Parties
- What Not to Include in the Notification Letter
- Getting a Higher Reserve From the Insurance Company
- Key Elements of an Effective Demand Letter
- Length, Style, Tone, "Drama" Level
- What to Include in the Settlement Package - Documentation and Exhibits
- To Document the Claim
- To Incentivize the Claim - Enhance its Value
- To Enhance Credibility, Prevent Bottlenecks, Close Gaps
- Techniques for Countering the Adjuster's Initial Offer
- Sophisticated Negotiation Styles: How and When to Use Them
12:45 - 2:00,
Scott M. Peterson
- Making Things Easy
- Finding the Middle Ground
- The Aggressive Negotiator
- The Evading Technique
- The Collaborative Approach
- The "Walk Away" Strategy
- Negotiation Techniques That Really Work
2:00 - 3:15,
Daniel W. Coffey
- How to Effectively Communicate with the Adjusters
- Understanding the Adjuster
- Recognizing Your Common Goals and Forming a Relationship
- Determining the Adjuster's Settlement Authority
- Using Documentation/Exhibits Effectively (Medical Reports and Studies, Photographs, etc.)
- Strategies for Direct Insured Negotiations to Prevent Litigation
- Building a Record of the Negotiations
- Addressing the Weak Points
- Timing Tips
- Obtaining (and Maximizing) the Adjuster's Settlement Authority
- Re-Starting Stalled Negotiations
- Negotiation Mistakes to Avoid
- What to do When the Negotiations Fail
- Making the Most of Mediation and Arbitration (Inside Tips and Strategies)
- Ethical Considerations When Working with Insurance Companies
3:30 - 4:30,
William E. Reynolds
- Unethical Insurance Adjusters and Your Client's Claim - What You Can do About It
- Liens in Personal Injury Settlements: Ethical Considerations
- Malpractice Risks and Prevention
This basic-to-intermediate level seminar examines insurance claim negotiation tactics that will benefit attorneys. It will also be of interest to insurance adjusters, claims managers, presidents, vice presidents, and paralegals.