This half-hour course is designed to provide awareness of the fundamentals of Class 3B (moderate) and 4 (high-power) lasers or laser systems. The content in this course is designed to comply with the intent of the applicable ANSI regulatory requirements.
Learner objectives are to discuss what a laser is and how a laser works, name the types and classes of lasers, describe non-beam laser hazards, recall the biological effects of a laser on the human body, and identify types of control measures.
This course was developed with subject matter support provided by EnSafe Inc., a global professional services company focusing on engineering, environment, health and safety, and information technology.Learning Objectives
- Recognize the primary parts of a laser
- Recognize different types of lasers
- Recognize laser classes
- Recognize examples of non-beam laser hazards
- Recognize non-beam laser hazards by type
- Recognize the biological effects of a laser on the eye
- Recognize the biological effects of a laser on the skin
- Identify examples of the categories of controls used in laser environments
- Identify important factors to consider when choosing protective eyewear
- Recognize mandatory controls for Class 4 lasers