Anger is a normal and even healthy emotion, rooted in the instinct for self-preservation. It provides important information about our relationships with others and can help us face trouble and overcome obstacles. But if it's not managed properly, this powerful emotion can be very destructive. And the consequences of poorly managed anger in the workplace may be much greater than in other contexts. Yet, its potential benefits may also be greater. This course explores the different ways that people express anger and the common causes of anger in the workplace. It also describes how you can use anger positively in the workplace, and the resulting benefits when you do.
- match examples of how people typically express anger to the appropriate categories
- determine the cause of anger in a given scenario
- recognize how to use anger positively in the workplace
Anger is a subject that affects most everyone. Some individuals need help in controlling their anger, whereas others need help to positively express feelings of anger that are buried. It's important to find healthy ways of owning and expressing your anger. Otherwise, it may find some expression that is inappropriate, unhealthy, or counterproductive. The key to managing anger is creating conditions in which anger can be expressed appropriately and productively. In this course, you'll learn how to handle your anger in a healthier, more balanced way. You'll also find out how to engage with angry people appropriately and effectively.
- recognize examples of steps that can help you manage your own anger
- determine which strategies for dealing with an angry individual have been carried out effectively in a given scenario
- use steps for dealing with an angry individual in the workplace
Communicating with diplomacy and tact is more than a skill. It requires an awareness of your environment and style, and an ability to adapt to different situations.
In this course, you'll see how conversations with different people in different situations can impact how you deliver your message, in terms of respect and sensitivity. By exploring the impact of environment, relationships, and communication style, this course shows you how to recognize the delicacy of different situations. It also demonstrates how you can adjust or adapt your communication style to ensure you communicate with diplomacy and tact.
- recognize examples where tact and diplomacy have been used effectively
- determine the appropriate communication approach to use to communicate with diplomacy and tact according to a person's communication style
- determine the best approach to use to communicate with people at work according to their relationship to you
- identify approaches to use in different environments to ensure diplomatic and tactful communication
Communicating with diplomacy and tact requires strategy, awareness, and skills. Its aim is to establish trust and rapport in relationships while delivering messages effectively. However, it's often pushed aside by good intentions cloaked by gut reaction and misinterpretation.
This course provides techniques you can use to navigate through conversations in a way that shows sensitivity and respect for others. As well as exploring what you should say, the course shows you how you can use proper timing and delivery when conveying your message. This will enable you to deliver messages tactfully and diplomatically, without sacrificing your reputation or professional relationships.
- recognize the benefits of being able to communicate with diplomacy and tact
- assess whether an individual has communicated with tact in a given scenario
- identify skills that will enable you to communicate with tact
- recognize examples of guidelines for communicating with diplomacy
- communicate with diplomacy and tact in a given scenario
Delivering a difficult message can be one of the most challenging things you do in a professional environment. It can bring anxiety, as you are faced with addressing an uncomfortable issue, and stress at the thought of the conversation's potential to result in a situation of high emotions.
This course explores the skills needed to help you effectively plan and deliver your difficult message. It helps you learn how to develop and frame your message by examining issues such as careful preparation, wording, and delivery. If you deliver your difficult message with diplomacy and tact, you can better manage any negative impact your message might have on you or your audience.
- analyze and plan how to deliver a message you anticipate will be difficult to deliver
- identify the activities involved in preparing to deliver a difficult message
- assess whether an individual has handled a difficult conversation with diplomacy and tact in a given scenario
- deliver a difficult message with diplomacy and tact