To create a proper integrated network design, you need to know about the many considerations that affect voice traffic. This course focuses on the types of delay, bandwidth restrictions, and Quality of Service (QoS) issues that affect voice communications. It discusses the importance of coding, which affects bandwidth consumption, voice and video quality, and introduces mechanisms that impact voice and video quality.
To design a network to transport voice and video, you need to understand and consider delay, packet loss, jitter, and the impact that QoS can have on maintaining voice quality.
- Recognize methods for minimizing network delay
- Recognize ways to reduce jitter and packet loss
- Recognize how to prevent echo on telephone calls
- Describe the coding and compression algorithms and standards that are used in packet telephony networks
- Describe the issues that are involved with bandwidth availability
- Recognize the QoS mechanisms for effective service for voice and video traffic
- Describe the QoS considerations to voice and video traffic on the WAN
- Identify voice and video traffic engineering concepts