Find Out How Key Estate Planning Tools are Drafted and Implemented
Every client's estate is unique in its assets composition, family dynamics and future needs, but all are ruled by the same principles and are subject to the same tax and legal limitations. In this comprehensive legal guide, experienced attorney faculty will guide you through the process of estate planning and administration and show you how to select the best trust instruments and wield them skillfully to avoid mistakes at probate. They will also teach you how to properly administer the estate and tackle potential mistakes of improperly drafted documents, changed circumstances and newly arising conflicts. Become fully prepared to protect your client's legacies - register today!
- Compare key trust structures and their specific uses.
- Help clients plan for and fund long-term care.
- Ensure confidentiality before and after the client's death.
- Get useful checklists for key dates and tasks in estate administration.
- Explore creditor issues in estate administration and get trouble-shooting tips from the pros.
- Discuss the duties and powers of fiduciaries, their limits and real-life application.
- Get tips for closing the estate to prevent future disputes.
- Planning for Long-Term Care and End-of-Life Decisions
9:00 - 9:45, P. Glen Smith
- Financial Powers of Attorney
- Advance Medical Directives
- Planning for Retirement vs. Estate Planning
- Long-Term Care Placement Options
- Funding Long-Term Care
- Medicaid Planning and Estate Recovery
- The Lookback Rules and the Penalty Period
- Exempt vs. Non-Exempt Assets
- Outright Gifts vs. Gifts Into Trust
- Special Needs Planning
- Testamentary Documents - Drafting Do's and Don'ts
9:45 - 10:30, Lea Bailes
- Wills vs. Trusts
- Testamentary Trust vs. Inter-Vivos Trust with a Pour-Over Will
- Designating Fiduciaries
- Recording Assests - Checklist
- Sample Will Review
- Common Trust Structures and When They're Used
10:45 - 11:15, Susan Bratcher
- Transfers During Life and Inter-Vivos Trusts
11:15 - 12:00, Lea Bailes
- Beneficiary Designations
- Titling Assets
- Gifting Approaches
- Tax Effects of Asset Transfers During Life
- Top Creditor Protection Approaches
- Planning for Real Estate
- Types and Functions of Common Living Trusts
- Probate Process Overview
1:00 - 1:45, William M. Angle
- Crucial Due Dates Timeline
- Community Property Law in Estate Administration
- Intestacy Rules
- Executor's Duties and Powers
- Administration Process Checklist
- Marshalling Assets and Dealing with Creditors
1:45 - 2:15, Anne Linton Pond Hendrickson
- Dealing with Creditors: Notices, Apportionment
- Solving Liquidity Problems
- Claiming Portability Election
- Legal Ethics in Estate Practice
2:30 - 3:30, Susan Bratcher
- Who is Your Client?
- Testamentary Capacity
- Protecting Confidentiality
- Attorney Fees
- Trust Administration and Termination Basics
3:30 - 4:00, Polly Bartle-Blomquist
- Closing the Estate
4:00 - 4:30, William M. Angle
- Final Accounting
- Final Tax Returns
- Final Beneficiary Distributions
This basic level seminar on estate planning and administration is designed for:
- Accountants and CPAs
- Trust Officers
- Investment Advisers