We are committed to safeguarding the health of our attendees and speakers. This seminar has been moved to an online format due to public health concerns.
Best Practices in Legal Ethics Compliance
Legal ethics is compliance-driven, but this engaging course goes beyond rules overview to talk about the worst-case scenario situations, when simple mistakes cost an attorney his/her license. Fulfill your continuing education requirement and learn how to protect your practice over insightful discussion with experienced colleagues. Find out how simple everyday practices can be improved to prevent client dissatisfaction and ensure legal ethics compliance. Order today!
- Find out what constitutes an ethical violation in client communication.
- Learn what inadvertent mistakes often result in "misuse of client funds" claims.
- Adopt impeccable email communication techniques to prevent accidentally breaching confidentiality.
- Clarify what constitutes "inadequate" investigation/discovery.
- Get clear guidance for what to do to respond to a complaint.
- Follow best practices in attorney fee agreements to promote transparency and manage client expectations.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- Administrative Errors
8:45 - 9:25, Jessica H. Donahue Rhodes and Andrea J. Hinerman
- Delays in Case Handling
- Failure to Calendar Properly and to React to Calendar
- Key Mistakes in Preparation and Filing of Documents (With Deadlines and Without)
- Clerical Errors
- Lost Files - Document Evidence
- Key Substantive and Procedural Errors
9:25 - 10:05, Jessica H. Donahue Rhodes and Andrea J. Hinerman
- Failure to Know, Interpret and Apply the Law
- Planning Errors in Choice of Procedures
- Inadequate Discovery of Facts, Investigation (In and Outside of Litigation)
- Failure to Know or Ascertain Deadline (Deadline Errors are Among the Most Serious Dangers)
- Conflict of Interest
- Failure to Understand or Anticipate Tax
- Public Record Search Errors
- Pre-trial, Pre-Hearing Advice Missteps
- Client Communication Errors
10:20 - 11:00, Jessica H. Donahue Rhodes and Andrea J. Hinerman
- Mistakes Stemming from Improper/Unclear Legal Advertising
- Starting a Lawyer-Client Relationship Carelessly/Accidentally
- Unclear Fee Agreements
- Failure to Obtain Client Consent and/or Follow Client Instruction
- Improper Withdrawal of Representation
- Other Ethics Dangers
11:00 - 11:40, Mark E. Gaydos
- Intentional Wrongs: Malicious Prosecution, Fraud, Libel or Slander
- How Satisfied Past Clients Can Inadvertently Ruin Your Life
- Is Going into Business with a Client Ever a Good Idea? How to Protect Yourself
- Switching Firms in a Hurry
- Key Email Mistakes
- Commingling and Mismanagement of Client Funds
- What to Do if You Think You Might be in Trouble
11:40 - 12:00, Mark E. Gaydos
- Do You Face a Potential Legal Ethics Breach? Getting Clarification from the Rules and the Bar
- "Appearance of Impropriety" Standard
- Short-Term Mitigation Strategies
- Key Elements of Legal Malpractice Cause of Action
- Ethical Investigations and Legal Malpractice Claims
This basic-to-intermediate level seminar is designed to provide practical legal ethics guidance to attorneys. It will also benefit paralegals and other legal support staff.