A Complete Guide to Authenticating Social Media and Email Evidence
Digital evidence from the internet is vital to your case - but what if you can't get it admitted in court? This course will walk you through potential obstacles from collecting the evidence to handling hearsay objections to linking the evidence to an author. You will also learn how to apply the Federal Rules of Evidence to a full range of social media sources, including email attachments, embedded videos, chats, private messages and more. Register today!
- Discover how to attribute digital evidence using distinctive characteristics.
- Find out how to use witness testimony to authenticate social media evidence.
- Discover corroborating evidence for email chains, images, profile pages and more.
Session Time: 10:00 AM - 1:15 PM Eastern
Presenter: F. David Rusin
- Authenticating Social Media and Email Evidence: Step-by-Step
10:00 - 11:30
- Collecting Social Media and Email Evidence
- Does the Evidence Have a Proper Foundation?
- Is it Hearsay?
- Does the Evidence Have Distinctive Characteristics?
- Preliminary Determination of Authenticity - Is the Evidence What the Proponent Claims?
- The Use of Expert Witnesses
- Linking the Evidence to the Purported Author
- Using Witness Testimony to Your Advantage
- Applying Federal Rules to the Authentication of Email and Social Media
11:45 - 1:15
- Email Chains
- Self-Authenticated Emails
- Email Attachments
- Embedded Video
- Profile Pages
- Private Messages
- Additional Corroborating Evidence
This program is designed for any attorney who handles social media or email evidence in litigation. Paralegals will also benefit.