Make the Best Use of Portability in Clients' Estate Plans
Portability has become one of the integral estate planning options; are you using it to its full potential? Our experienced faculty will help you become well-versed in portability's intricacies and teach you how to successfully integrate it into your clients' estate plans. Examine the situational advantages and disadvantages of a portability-based plan, with a thorough look at different tax outcomes. You will also learn when and how to use a credit shelter trust as an alternative to planning with portability. Enhance your practice - register today!
- Know the in's and out's of the portability exemption - how it works, how to claim it, its real-world benefits and pitfalls.
- Understand the different requirements and restrictions for portability.
- Find out exactly when and how to file a 706 estate tax return.
- Examine the situational advantages and disadvantages of using a credit shelter trust as an alternative to portability.
- Delve deeper into the tax nuances of using the portability exemption in clients' estate plans.
- Help clients establish a strategic business succession plan.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- What Is Portability?
10:00 - 10:45, Mark A. Bregman
- Current Federal Estate, Gift and GST Tax Rates and Exemptions
- How Portability Works
- Drawbacks of Planning with Portability Alone
- Step-Up Basis Rules and Their Current Application
10:45 - 11:30, Mark A. Bregman
- Claiming the Portability Exemption After the First Death
11:45 - 12:30, Julie M. Kiley
- Calculating DSUE
- When and How to File Form 706
- Asset Protection Considerations
12:30 - 1:00, Jessica E. Slavin
- State Taxes Considerations
1:30 - 2:15, Pamela Woelfel Schneider
- Credit Shelter Trust as an Alternative to Planning with Portability
2:15 - 3:00, Mark A. Bregman
- GST Tax Considerations
- Remarriage Issues
- Analysis of a Sample Bypass Trust
- Incorporating Business Succession Plans into the Estate Plan
3:15 - 4:00, Pamela Woelfel Schneider
- Legal Ethics
4:00 - 5:00, Jessica E. Slavin
- Who is Your Client?
- Conflicts of Interest and Interested Third Parties
- Protecting Confidentiality
- Attorney Fees and Engagement Agreements
- Legal Malpractice Risks and Prevention
This program is designed for attorneys. Accountants, financial planners, trust officers and paralegals may also benefit.