Make the Best Use of Inherited IRAs
Are you confident in your ability to handle all the compliance and strategic considerations that go into estate planning with IRAs? This engaging legal guide will give you all the tools you need to transfer IRAs effectively and tax-efficiently. Clarify IRA rollover and minimum distribution rules to help your clients maximize the benefit of inherited IRAs. Get practical solutions to new and common problems and learn why and how to draft an IRA trust. Register today!
- Clarify required minimum distribution rules and find the best ways to comply.
- Determine whether an IRA trust is a wise choice for your clients.
- Find out how to resolve multiple beneficiary challenges.
All times are shown in Eastern
- Overview of IRAs in Estate Planning
10:00 - 11:00,
- Types of IRAs
- Lifetime IRA Issues: Roth IRA Conversions, Excess IRA Contributions, Gifting IRA Assets
- Lifetime RMDs
- IRA Charitable Rollover
- Creditor Protection
- Rollover Rules and Tactics
- Foundational Concepts
11:15 - 12:15,
Stephanie F. Tribe
- Beneficiary Designation Form
- Designated Beneficiary
- Required Beginning Date
- Applicable Distribution Period
- Multiple Beneficiaries: Problems and Solutions
- Separate Account Treatment
- Key Dates
- Post-Death Required Minimum Distribution Rules
12:45 - 1:45, Stephanie F. Tribe
- Spouse as Beneficiary
- Non-spouse Individuals as Beneficiaries
- Estates as Beneficiaries
- Trusts as Beneficiaries
- Charities as Beneficiaries
- Timing of Distributions
- IRA Trusts: Key Drafting Decisions
1:45 - 2:45,
Ann M. O'Hara
- When Does it Make Sense to Use One?
- Standalone Trust vs. Will or Revocable Trust
- Conduit vs. Accumulation
- Separate Trusts vs. Single Pot Trust
- Marital Deduction Trusts
- Sample Language and Practical Drafting Tips
- IRAs and IRA Trusts in Estate Administration
2:45 - 3:15, Ann M. O'Hara
- Removing Beneficiaries
- Educating Beneficiaries
- Dealing with Custodians
- Changing Custodians
- What to do When the Trust Terminates
- Protecting Inherited IRAs from Creditors
3:30 - 4:00,
- SCOTUS Clark v. Rameker Decision on Inherited IRAs
- Implications for Inherited IRAs in Non-Bankruptcy Cases
- IRS Guidance and Enforcement Efforts
- Protecting Inherited IRAs from Creditors: What Works
- Legal Ethics in Estate Planning
4:00 - 5:00,
Ann M. O'Hara
- Who is Your Client?
- Attorney Fees and Engagement Agreements
- Protecting Confidentiality
- Avoiding Fraudulent Transfers
- UPL Risks and Prevention
- Multi-Jurisdictional Practice of Law
- Fiduciary Duty to the Client in the Context of Estate Planning
- Practical Scenarios - What Would You Do?
This legal guide is designed for attorneys. It will also benefit accountants, CPAs, trust officers, and paralegals looking to increase their knowledge of IRA rollover rules.