Get the Inside Perspectives You Need to Win a Medical Malpractice Case
In this focused legal course, you'll get the strategies you need to tackle complex medical malpractice cases. You'll learn veteran techniques for handling your most difficult challenges for using doctors as medical experts. Detangle doctor responsibility in co-managed hospitals and learn how to maximize the use of medical records. Give your practice the shot in the arm it needs - register today!
- Get advanced strategies for overcoming Daubert challenges to doctor testimony.
- Assess the responsibility for the hospitalist and the specialist physician in a co-managed hospital.
- Learn how to effectively obtain a complete set of medical records.
- Determine negligence and better understand the legal complexities surrounding hospital cases that involve patients falling out of bed.
Session I: 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM Eastern
Presented By: Gary M. Lang
- Doctors as Expert Witnesses in Medical Malpractice
- Preliminary Review of a Case and Selecting an Expert
- Rules Regarding Expert Testimony
- Preparing Expert Witnesses
- Expert Deposition Strategies
- Direct and Cross-Examination
- Caveats on Using Professional Testifiers
- The Admissibility of Complex Expert Testimony, Overcoming Daubert Challenges
- Preparation for Opposing Technical Medical Testimony
- Impeachment of Medical Experts
- Standard of Care and Informed Consent as Defined by Case Law
- Using Doctors to Maximize Damages
Session II: 11:45 AM - 1:15 PM Eastern
Presented By: Dr. Jas G. Brooks
- Managed Care (Including the Co-Managed Hospitalized Patient) - Advanced Legal Landmines
- Current Trends in Managed Care Litigation and Issues
- State Regulation
- Who's Responsible? The Hospitalist or the Specialist?
- Hospitalist Role and Legal Obligations
- Specialist Role and Legal Obligations
- Overlapping Roles
- Factors that Determine Duty
- Putting it All Together
- Recent Case Law
- The Medical Record
- Organizing the Chart for the Expert
- Creating a Chronology
- Understanding What You Have and What's Missing, and Why You Really Do Need All of the Records
- Problematic Medical Notes
- Different Med Mal Case Examples: Falling-Out-of-Bed in the Hospital, Misdiagnosis, Birth Injuries and More
- Identifying Hospital Liability
- Why did it Happen?
- What is the Standard of Care for Hospitals
- Insurance Issues
- Key Case Supporting Evidence
- Are All Injuries and Accidents Preventable?
- What is the Standard of Care for Patients?
- Determining Negligence
- When are the Damages Less Than the Injury Sustained?
- When are the Damages More Than the Injury Sustained?
This program is designed for experienced attorneys engaged in medical malpractice claims. Paralegals and insurance professionals may also benefit.