Help Your Aging Clients Plan for Long-Term Care
Planning for incapacity is a tough task, especially when considering each client's unique circumstances and needs and sources of care to be pulled together into a cohesive strategy. This engaging legal course will give you the latest knowledge and skills to help you qualify clients for LTC benefits while preserving family assets. Register today!
- Explore all sources of LTC funding.
- Walk through the process of Medicaid application and appeals.
- Clarify how the Affordable Care Act has changed Medicaid planning.
- Protect your professional reputation with a practical legal ethics guide.
- Anticipate and mitigate estate recovery.
- Help clients maximize their veterans benefits.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- Paying for Long Term Care
11:00 - 11:30, Jason A. Penrod
- Who is in the Nursing Home?
- Methods of Payment
- Medicare and its Limitations
- Introduction to Medicaid
- Medicaid Basics
11:30 - 12:15, Jason A. Penrod
- Income Rules and Exceptions
- Qualified Income Trusts - QIT
- Resource (Asset) Eligibility Rules
- Spousal Resource Allowance
- Key Websites of Interest
- Basics of Medicaid Asset Preservation
12:30 - 1:15, Jason A. Penrod
- Underlying Rules
- Transfers and Curing
- Exempt Transfers
- Real Estate and Farms
- Promissory Notes
- Life Estates, Trusts and Divorce
- Continuing Care Contracts
- Asset Preservation Plan
- Medicaid Myths
- Affordable Care Act (ACA)
1:15 - 1:45, Lee D. Richardson
- ACA Currently in Effect
- ACA Still to Come
- ACA and Our Clients
- Ethical Issues in an Elder Law Practice
2:15 - 3:15, Lee D. Richardson
- Who is the Client?
- Retainer Agreement Requirements
- Mental Capacity of the Client
- Representing Clients with Dementia
- Case Selection and Firing the Client
- Ethics of Medicaid Planning
- Practical Scenarios - What Would You Do?
- Medicaid Application Process, Fair Hearings and Appeals
3:15 - 3:45, Lee D. Richardson
- Intake Interview
- Initial Application Preparation
- Initial Application Submission
- New 2014 Fair Hearing - First Level of Appeal
- New 2014 Appeals Board - Second Level of Appeal
- Circuit Court
- Recertification and Conversion
- Estate Recovery
3:45 - 4:15, Lee D. Richardson
- Basics of Estate Recovery
- Current Trends
- Where Good Estate Planning = Bad Medicaid Planning
4:30 - 5:00, Whitney M. Wilson
- Annual Gift Tax Exclusion
- Revocable Trusts
- Irrevocable Trusts
- Family Limited Partnerships
- Family Home in a Trust
- Adding Names to a Deed
- Life Estates
- Estate Disclaimers
- Veterans Benefits
5:00 - 6:00, Whitney M. Wilson
- Basic Pension
- House Bound Allowance
- Aid and Attendance
- Basics of VA Planning
- VA Application Process
This legal course is designed for elder law, Medicaid and estate planning attorneys. It will also benefit nursing home administrators, financial planners, trust officers, accountants, social workers, geriatric care managers, life care planners, paralegals, and other professionals working with elder clients on planning issues.