This course provides students with the knowledge and skills to develop a Microsoft SQL Server database. The course focuses on teaching individuals how to use SQL Server product features and tools related to developing a database.
This course is also available in the On-Demand delivery format with digital Microsoft Official Courseware (dMOC). Click here to purchase.
- Design and implement tables.
- Advanced table designs.
- Ensure data integrity through constraints.
- Indexes, including optimized and column store indexes.
- Design and implement views.
- Design and implement stored procedures.
- Design and implement user-defined functions.
- Respond to data manipulation using triggers.
- Design and implement in-memory tables.
- Implement managed code in SQL Server.
- Store and query XML data.
- Work with spatial data.
- Store and query BLOBs and text documents.
1. Introduction to Database Development
- Introduction to the SQL Server Platform
- SQL Server Database Development Tasks
2. Designing and Implementing Tables
- Designing Tables
- Data Types
- Working with Schemas
- Creating and Altering Tables
3. Advanced Table Designs
- Partitioning Data
- Compressing Data
- Temporal Tables
4. Ensuring Data Integrity through Constraints
- Enforcing Data Integrity
- Implementing Domain Integrity
- Implementing Entity and Referential Integrity
5. Introduction to Indexes
- Core Indexing Concepts
- Data Types and Indexes
- Heaps, Clustered, and Nonclustered Indexes
- Single Column and Composite Indexes
6. Designing Optimized Index Strategies
- Index Strategies
- Managing Indexes
- Execution Plans
- The Database Engine Tuning Advisor
- Query Store
7. Columnstore Indexes
- Introduction to Columnstore Indexes
- Creating Columnstore Indexes
- Working Columnstore Indexes
8. Designing and Implementing Views
- Introduction to Views
- Creating and Managing Views
- Performance Considerations for Views
9. Designing and Implementing Stored Procedures
- Introduction to Stored Procedures
- Working with Stored Procedures
- Implementing Parameterized Stored Procedures
- Controlling Execution Context
10. Designing and Implementing User-Defined Functions
- Overview of Functions
Designing and Implementing Scalar Functions
- Designing and Implementing Table-Valued Functions
- Alternatives to Functions
11. Responding to Data Manipulation via Triggers
- Designing DML Triggers
- Implementing DML Triggers
- Advanced Trigger Concepts
12. Using In-Memory Tables
- In-Memory Tables
- Native Stored Procedures
13. Implementing Managed Code in SQL Server
- Introduction to CLR Integration in SQL Server
- Implementing and Publishing CLR Assemblies
14. Storing and Querying XML Data in SQL Server
- XML and XML Schemas
- Storing XML Data and Schemas in SQL Server
- Implementing the XML Data Type
- Using the T-SQL FOR XML Statement
- Getting Started with xQuery
- Shredding XML
15. Storing and Querying Spatial Data in SQL Server
- Introduction to Spatial Data
- Working with SQL Server Spatial Data Types
- Using Spatial Data in Applications
16. Storing and Querying BLOBs and Text Documents in SQL Server
- Considerations for BLOB Data
- Working with FileStream
- Using Full-Text Search
17. Performance and Monitoring
- Concurrency and Transactions
- Locking Internals
18. Performance and Monitoring
- Extended Events
- Working with extended Events
- Live Query Statistics
- Optimize Database File Configuration
The primary audience for this course is IT Professionals who want to become skilled on SQL Server product features and technologies for implementing a database.
The secondary audiences for this course are individuals who are developers from other product platforms looking to become skilled in the implementation of a SQL Server database.