Ensure Smooth and Efficient Transfer of Assets to Heirs
This practical legal course gives you a straightforward trouble-shooting guide to key estate planning techniques. Explore the most common problems you're likely to face and get simple solutions that work. Register today!
- Prevent property transfer roadblocks and learn what forms of ownership cause the most problems.
- Zero in on key gifting mistakes and their tax consequences.
- Learn how to forestall will validity questions.
- Predict and prevent common trust and estate tax problems.
- Choose the right tool for the job with a quick guide to common trust structures and their key functions and vulnerabilities.
All times are shown in Eastern timne
- Unclear Client Expectations and Changing Estate Plan Goals
10:00 - 10:15, Robert W. Jewett
- Top Ownership and Property Transfer Hurdles
10:15 - 11:15, Michaeline A. Gordon
- Types of Ownership Most Likely to Cause Problems Down the Line
- Wills: Key Provisions, Language, Validity Issues
- Powers of Appointment
- Executor, Trustee, Attorney Selection and Duties
- Gifts and Other Inter-Vivos Transfers: Mistakes and Tax Consequences
11:30 - 12:15, Robert W. Jewett
- Outright Gifts Tactics and Reporting
- Beneficiary Designations
- Titling Assets
- Tax Effects of Asset Transfers During Life
- Top Creditor Protection Approaches
- Tenancy by Entirety, TODs and DODs: Common Mistakes to Avoid
- Common Tax Traps in Trusts and Estates
12:15 - 1:15, Robert W. Jewett
- Federal Tax: Changing Rates, Exemptions, etc.
- Portability Dilemmas
- Income Tax Planning for Trusts and Estates
- Capital Gains and Tax Basis Approaches
- Common Tax Issues in Decoupled States
- New Tax Forms and Procedures Easy to Trip Up On
- Top Problems in Common Estate Planning Tools
1:45 - 2:45, Michaeline A. Gordon
- Limited vs. General Powers of Attorney
- Validity of Advance Health Care Selections (Living Wills)
- Unique Challenges in Planning for Unmarried and Remarried Couples
- The Dangers of Dabbling in Charitable Planning
- Tricky Business Transfer Approaches
- Retirement and Employee Benefits: Improper Beneficiary Designations, Faulty Rollover Plans, etc.
- Common Trust Structures: When and How They're Used, and Their Tax Consequences
2:45 - 3:45, Oren Von Limbaugh
- Marital Deduction and Bypass Trusts
- §2503(b) and (c) Trusts
- Grantor Retained Interest Trusts (GRITs)
- Intentionally "Defective" Trusts
- Revocable Trusts
- Tax Basis Irrevocable Trusts
- Legal Ethics in Estate Planning: Top Challenges
4:00 - 5:00, Oren Von Limbaugh
- Who Is Your Client? Common Conflict-of-Interest Scenarios
- Confidentiality, Diminishing Client Capacity, and Well-Meaning Family Members - The Powder Keg
- When the Client Asks for More than What's in the Engagement Agreement
- Attorneys as Fiduciaries: Key Risks
- Preventing Unauthorized Practice of Law
This practical estate planning course is designed or attorneys. It will also benefit accountants, estate planners, trust officers, and paralegals.