Explore Real-World Solutions to Thought-Provoking Scenarios
In the real world of Human Resources, practically applying the letter of the law can be challenging. Speaking with peers makes things much easier, but finding the time to do so is often impossible. This innovative seminar is chocked full of opportunities to interact with our experienced faculty and join forces with your peers to find answers to pressing legal questions. You'll move beyond legal theory and put employment law into practice so you can develop common-sense approaches to everyday HR situations - register today!
- Walk through real-life HR situations and work with fellow HR professionals to formulate solutions.
- Ensure your organization's handbook contains the latest legal changes.
- Exchange tactics to lawfully deal with FMLA and ADA leave headaches.
- Share techniques for handling discrimination and harassment allegations.
- Fully comply with the FLSA when tracking hours and handling overtime pay.
- Work with your peers to answer legal questions about employee discipline.
Moderator: Alexia Kita Blake
- Essential Handbook Must-Haves and Updates
9:00 - 10:00, Mark J. Kozlowski
- The Latest Legal Updates Your Handbook Needs
- Maintaining "At Will" Relationships
- Eliminating Contradictory Policies
- Avoiding Vague and Inconsistent Policies
- Managing FMLA and ADA Leave: A Collaborative Exercise
10:00 - 11:00, Mark J. Kozlowski
- FMLA and ADA Leave Legal Essentials
- Scenario 1: Intermittent Leave Headaches
- Scenario 2: Reasonable Accommodation or Undue Hardship?
- Scenario 3: Leave and Substance Abuse
- New Hires: Ensuring Legally Sound Practices
11:15 - 12:15, John T. Ellis
- Job Description Essentials
- Conducting Background Checks
- Using Social Media in the Hiring Process
- Non-Compete Agreements: When/How to Use
- Onboarding and Orientation Best Practices
- Handling, Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation Allegations: An Interactive Guide
1:15 - 2:15, Alexia Kita Blake
- Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation Laws
- Scenario 1: Unrequited Love in the Office
- Scenario 2: He Said What in That Meeting?
- Scenario 3: Pennies on the Dollar
- How to Comply With the FLSA
2:15 - 3:15, John T. Ellis
- Exemptions and Eligibility
- Tracking and Calculating Hours Worked
- Handling Overtime Pay
- FLSA Updates You Need to Know
- Hands-On Discipline and Discharge Case Studies
3:30 - 4:30, Alexia Kita Blake
- Discipline and Discharge Legal Essentials
- Scenario 1: Employees Caught in the "Act"
- Scenario 2: Discipline, Discharge or None of the Above
- Scenario 3: One too Many at the Office Party
This basic-to-intermediate level seminar on HR legal issues is of benefit to:
- Human Resource Professionals
- Corporate Executives