We are committed to safeguarding the health of our attendees and speakers. This seminar has been moved to an online format due to public health concerns.
Put Business Contract Drafting Basics Into Real-World Practice.
In this essential seminar on business contract drafting and review, you'll move beyond dry legal theory and get real-world pointers on how representations and warranties, indemnification provisions, and other clauses actually work. You'll get the contract drafting and review skills you need to maximize protections and minimize liabilities. Don't overlook the foundational aspects of contracts you should be catching. Attend this seminar and get the skills you need to confidently draft and review business contracts. Order today!
- Review key contract terminology and definitions of essential legal elements.
- Tailor representations and warranties to fit your client's unique needs.
- Review indemnification provisions and ensure they align with the rest of the contract.
- Ensure non-competes and other restrictive covenants maximize protections.
- Defensively draft contracts to prepare for the specter of future litigation.
- Find solutions to critical ethical dilemmas attorneys face when drafting and negotiating contracts.
All times are shown in Mountain time
- Drafting Fundamentals: Essential Elements and Boilerplate Language
9:00 - 10:00, Gretta C. Spendlove
- Types of Contracts and Requirements
- Boilerplate Provisions and Dangers
- Key Terms and Definitions
- Ensuring Essential Provisions Work Together
- Avoiding Ambiguity
- Current Legal Updates
- Example Checklists
- Representations and Warranties: Real-World Pointers
10:15 - 11:15, Joshua D. Jewkes
- Key Principles and Common Elements
- Essential Information to Disclose
- Maximizing Protections and Limiting Exposures
- Setting Conditions for Closing the Deal
- Setting Survival Periods: Length and Extent
- Prepping for Breaches of Representations and Warranties
- Indemnification Provisions 101: Putting Theory Into Practice
11:15 - 12:15, Joshua D. Jewkes
- Contractual Indemnity: How it Works
- Applicable Laws
- When to Use and Possible Alternatives
- Determining Scope and Risk Allocation
- Aligning with Limitation of Liability and Other Provisions
- Coordinating with Insurance Policies
- Non-Competes and Restrictive Covenants: Expanding on Core Knowledge
1:15 - 2:15, Steven W. Shaw
- Legality and Use
- Determining Reasonableness and Enforceability
- Setting Duration, Definitions and Scope
- Ensuring Non-Competition and Non-Solicitation
- Protecting Trade Secrets
- Drafting in Anticipation of Future Litigation: Controlling Law, Arbitration and More
2:15 - 3:15, Steven W. Shaw
- How to Draft for Fact Finders
- Litigation Provisions vs. Arbitration Provisions
- Termination Provisions: Ensuring Clarity
- Determining Choice of Law, Proper Venue and Jurisdiction
- Future Bankruptcies: How to Prepare
- Provisions That May Outlive Contract Termination
- Contract Ethics
3:30 - 4:30, John A. Snow
- Who is the Client?
- Unrepresented Parties
- Jurisdictional Issues
- Conflicts of Interest
This basic-to-intermediate level seminar is for attorneys. It may also benefit paralegals.