Your Guide to the Division of Property in Divorce
Are you confident in your ability to navigate through the different types of assets and account for the many different circumstances surrounding their ownership, value and division? Join our experienced faculty as they guide you through uncovering hidden assets and income, effectively handling QDROs and retirement plans and dividing stock options and trust assets. Don't miss this chance to strengthen your skills in this important area of divorce - register today!
- Discuss effective ways to uncover assets and income that has not been disclosed.
- Review how to properly handle issues with QDROs and retirement plans.
- Explore options available for the division of stock options.
- Learn what factors are involved with the division of trust assets.
- Make a plan to minimize the tax consequences of divorce.
All times shown in Eastern time.
- How to Find Undisclosed Assets and Income
10:00 - 11:00, Beth Wiberg Barbosa
- Key Resources and Useful Documents to Obtain (w/Checklist)
- Tips and Tricks for Discovering Hidden Assets
- Analyzing Tax Returns
- Analyzing Account Statements, Loan Applications and More
- Analyzing Financial Records
- Examining Estate, Gift, and Inheritance Tax Returns for Gifts or Bequests
- Ensuring Custodial Accounts or Trusts Aren't Being Used to Veil Assets
- Electronic Information Resources and Discovery Tools
- Marital vs. Non-Marital Assets: How to Differentiate
- Handling QDROs and Retirement Plans
11:15 - 12:15, Zachary P. Marsh
- Qualified Defined Benefit Plan Issues (w/Sample Forms)
- Defined Contribution Plan Issues (w/Sample Forms)
- Avoiding Pitfalls with Non-Qualified Pensions (w/Sample Language)
- Military Pension and Benefits
- State, Federal (FERS), and Municipal Retirement Plans
- Railroad Retirement Benefits, Tiers
- Public Employees Retirement Fund (PERF) and Firefighters
- Spousal Benefits Eligibility During and After the Divorce
- Social Security and Supplemental Security Income
- Valuing/Dividing Stock Options
12:15 - 1:15, Beth Wiberg Barbosa
- Stock Options
- Restricted Stock Units: Vested and Unvested
- Deferred Compensation Schemes
- Fringe Benefits, Frequent Flyer Points, etc.
- Dividing Trust Assets in Divorce
1:45 - 2:45, Andrew M. Tatge
- Locating Trust Assets
- Present and Future Value
- Proving Trusts as Divisible Assets: Key Criteria
- Counter Arguing Trusts as Assets
- Tax Considerations and Transfer Fees
- Asset Management for a Disabled Spouse
- Minimizing the Tax Consequences of Divorce
2:45 - 3:45, Andrew M. Tatge
- Tax-Free Asset Transfers
- Tax Loss Carry-Forward
- Taxable Gain in Divorce
- Spousal Support (Recapture Rules and More)
- Tax on Sale of the Marital Home and Other Real Estate Issues
- Identifying and Allocating Deductions
- Legal Ethics
4:00 - 5:00, Zachary P. Marsh
- Rules of Professional Conduct
- Conflicts of Interest
- Attorney Fees
- Confidentiality and Disclosure Issues
This program is designed for attorneys. Accountants, divorce financial planners and paralegals may also benefit.