Your Short-Term Rental Legal Field Guide
Airbnbs, VRBOs and other short-term rentals are creating numerous legal questions across the U.S. On one hand, Airbnbs and VRBOs are generating local economic benefit, but on the other hand, their presence generates challenges for local municipalities. To compound things, they invite numerous legal liabilities and a maze of land use/zoning rules and regulations for the property owner. This concise yet comprehensive overview will provide legal clarity on so many of the issues you and your clients are scratching your heads about. Confidently walk legal fine lines concerning short-term rental issues - register today!
- Discuss recent developments and hot-button issues surrounding Airbnbs, VRBOs and short-term leases.
- Take a close look at city zoning/land use restrictions and other limitations.
- Identify issues surrounding owners of condos, co-ops and planned developments.
- Steer clear of liability concerns for short-term rental owners.
- Learn what considerations must be made regarding remedies available for damages.
- Review the fundamentals of what to include (and not include) in an agreement.
- Introduction to VRBO and Airbnb: Your Top Questions - Answered
9:00 - 10:00, Lauren B. Weliver
- What is an Airbnb and VRBO? Current Legal Definition
- Legal Distinctions Between Short-Term and Long-Term Rentals
- Renting a Room? A House? An Apartment?
- Investment Property and Second Home Questions
- What are the Issues for Properties Subject to a Mortgage?
- How do you Regulate/Deregulate the Number of Such Uses in a Residential Neighborhood?
- Is Airbnb, VRBO Considered "Commercial"?
- Do Consumer-Related Laws Apply? ADA Laws?
- Local Laws, Zoning Ordinances, Rules, Regulations, Requirements and Licensing
10:15 - 11:15, Benjamin T. McCall
- Sources of Local Government Authority That Regulate Short-Term Leasing
- Current Issues and Regulatory Trends
- Local Zoning Ordinances, Rules and Regulations
- Enforcement, Violations and Penalties
- Do I Need a License? Permit? Certificate? If so, How do I Obtain One?
- Public Safety Laws, Building Safety Codes and Inspections
- Owners of Condos, Coops and Planned Developments: Legal Restrictions, Conflicts with HOA Covenants and Other Issues
11:15 - 12:00, Robert S. Hark
- Liability Essentials
1:00 - 1:45, Matthew P. Mastrogiacomo
- The Condition of the Property
- Premises Liability Laws
- Theft Issues
- Property Damage Issues
- Criminal Acts
- Nuisance Violations
- Remedies Available for Damages to the Rental Unit
1:45 - 2:30, Matthew P. Mastrogiacomo
- The Airbnb/VRBO "Host Guarantee"
- Renters Insurance
- Reviewing Business Policies
- The Homeowner's Insurance Policy
- The Landlord or Rental Dwelling Policy
- Agreement Basics (w/Real-World Examples)
2:45 - 3:30, Stephanie Albert
- Are You Doing a "Lease or Rental" and What Should it Say?
- What You Should Know Before Drafting the Agreement
- Airbnb/VRBO/Short-Term Agreement Fundamentals
- Top Provisions You Must Include
- Contracting Issues: Deposits, Liquidated Damages, Etc.
- Legal Ethics
3:30 - 4:30, James B. Haddow
- State Bar Code of Ethics
- Disclosure Requirements
- Dealing with Unrepresented Parties
- Multiple Representations During Transactions
- Conflicts of Interest
This basic-to-intermediate level program is designed for the following professionals:
- Local Government and Municipal Employees
- Real Estate Agents and Brokers