Power Up Your Due Diligence, Title, Tax and Contract Skills
Is your due diligence rock solid? Are you leveraging title insurance protections and carving out advantageous contract terms for your client? In this program, seasoned faculty will provide you with best practices and creative tips that will impress clients and prevent problems down the road. Hone your real estate transaction skills - register today!
- Uncover inventive strategies for five key aspects of real estate transactions.
- Leave no stone unturned during due diligence.
- Find out when to make title objections and how to make the most of title endorsements.
- Discover how to efficiently deal with description errors, liens and other title defects.
- Maximize protections when drafting and negotiating purchase and sale agreements.
- Optimize your use of 1031 exchanges to defer taxes.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- Strategy # 1: Effectively Use Due Diligence to Avoid Buying Lemons and Lawsuits
11:00 - 12:00, John Collen
- Assembling Rock-Solid Due Diligence Checklists
- Verifying Income and Expenses
- Determining Land Use and Zoning Limitations
- Analyzing Land Surveys and Legal Descriptions
- When Issues are Spotted: Know When to Hold, Fold, Walk Away or Run
- Strategy # 2: Maximize Title Insurance Protections for Your Clients
12:15- 1:15, John Paul Parks
- How Policies Work: A Brief Refresher
- Title Objections: When is it Wise to Make Them?
- Overcoming Title Commitment Problems
- Title Endorsements: Their Strategic Use
- What to do When Insurers Refuse Coverage
- Strategy # 3: Swiftly Cure Title Defects to Keep Transactions on Track
1:15 - 2:15, John Paul Parks
- Dealing With Old Mortgages
- Resolving Description Errors, Survey and Boundary Disputes
- Clearing Judgment Liens, Tax Liens, Mechanics' Liens and Other Liens
- Foreclosure Considerations
- Creative Title Defect Cures
- Strategy # 4: Draft and Negotiate Contracts to Protect Interests and Minimize Legal Surprises
2:45 - 3:45, John Collen
- Buyer vs. Seller Objectives
- Clauses That Cause Lawsuits: Practical Drafting and Negotiation Tips
- Commonly Overlooked Details: Closing Costs, Etc.
- Modifying Stock Purchase and Sale Agreements to Protect Clients
- Effective Negotiation Strategies
- Strategy # 5: Use 1031 Exchanges to Significantly Reduce Tax Burdens
3:45 - 4:45, Mark D. Kimball
- Matching the Type of Exchange to the Transaction
- Selling Before Your Purchase: Essential Tactics
- Reverse Exchanges: Tips and Techniques
- Skillfully Funding Construction With 1031 Proceeds
- Strategies for Finalizing the Exchange
- Ethical Considerations
5:00 - 6:00, Mark D. Kimball
- Applying the Rules of Professional Conduct
- Good Faith Required in Real Estate Transactions
- Trust Accounts
- Representation of Multiple Clients - Conflicts of Interest
- Disclosure of Defects in Property
This program is designed for attorneys. Lenders, real estate professionals and title professionals may also benefit.