A Comprehensive Overview of Medical Marijuana Legal Issues
Medical marijuana creates numerous opportunities for investors, business owners, healthcare providers and patients with qualifying conditions. It also creates a myriad of potential legal problems for those who misinterpret state law and fail to take into account the fact that marijuana remains a Schedule I controlled substance under federal law. It is essential that attorneys advising medical marijuana businesses, patients and healthcare providers have a firm understanding of state and federal laws, as well as business licensing procedures, taxation difficulties, and more. Confidently navigate the many intricacies of medical marijuana law - register today!
- Analyze federal memos on medical marijuana and make sense of contradictory government positions.
- Advise prospective medical marijuana business owners on the in's and out's of licensing and compliance.
- Ensure dispensaries properly test and package medical marijuana edibles and other products.
- Employ creative tax strategies to offset the inability of medical marijuana businesses to deduct business expenses.
- Understand what conditions qualify patients for medical marijuana prescriptions.
- Distinguish between the ethical considerations of helping a business obtain a medical marijuana license and enforcing license rights.
- Federal Responses to Medical Marijuana Laws
9:00 - 10:15, Carl B. Jensen Jr.
- Current Federal Enforcement Priorities
- Federal Memos: Contradictory Messages
- Outcomes for Undermining Federal Enforcement Priorities
- Possible Legal Consequences to Cannabis Consumers Under Federal Law
- Gun Control Act of 1968
- Federal Housing Assistance
- State Agencies and Federal Funding
- Preemption and the Controlled Substance Act
- Medical Marijuana Business Taxation
- Obtaining Medical Marijuana Business Licenses: Overcoming Hurdles
10:30 - 11:45, Herman A. Watson IV
- Types of Authorized Businesses: Dispensaries, Cultivation Facilities, Etc.
- Persons Prohibited From Owning and Operating Cannabis Businesses
- Necessary Background Checks for Owners and Employees
- Necessary Start-Up Funds
- Complying With Zoning Requirements
- Appeals for License Denials
- Overcoming Property Leasing Difficulties for Marijuana Businesses
- Handling License Renewals
- Essential Business Considerations for Medical Marijuana Dispensaries
12:45 - 2:00, Bruce A. Fredrickson and Angela M. LeDuc
- Marketing Restrictions for Marijuana Dispensaries
- Verifying Patient Information and Dosage Amounts
- Security and Control Requirements for Dispensaries and Producers
- Product Preparation and Packaging Requirements
- Product Testing Requirements
- Complying With State Inspection Requirements
- Obtaining Trademarks
- Reporting Duties to the State Licensing Authority
- Negotiating Third Party Agreements With Cultivators, Managers, Etc.
- Patients, Caregivers and Physicians: Ensuring Legal Compliance
2:15 - 3:30, Christopher C. Young
- Qualifying Conditions for Medical Marijuana Prescriptions
- Obtaining Patient Registry Cards: Exclusions, Fees and Other Key Considerations
- Authorized Caregivers: Determining Eligibility
- Requirements and Liabilities for Physicians
- Where can Patients Consume Medical Marijuana?
- Employment-Related Concerns for Patients
3:30 - 4:30, Bruce A. Fredrickson and Angela M. LeDuc
- Securing Licenses vs. Enforcing Rights of Licenses
- Duty to Pursue Justice
- Advising on Business Operations
- Conflicts With Federal Law
- Criminal Law Considerations
- Ownership of Cannabis Businesses
This basic-to-intermediate level program provides a comprehensive overview of medical marijuana laws for:
- Bankers and Commercial Lenders
- Financial Advisors
- Medical Marijuana Business Investors