We are committed to safeguarding the health of our attendees and speakers. This seminar has been moved to an online format due to public health concerns.
Strategically Use the Top Estate Planning Tools
The estate planning process is often charged with emotion and filled with legal confusion for clients. Attorneys not only need in-depth familiarity with the top estate planning tools, but also need to know how to strategically use them to their best effect if they want to build their reputations as go-to practitioners. In this comprehensive overview of top estate planning tools, our experienced faculty will go over how to strategically use wills, trusts, advance directives and more. No matter if you are new to the estate planning arena or are an experienced practitioner in need of a refresher, you are sure to take away valuable techniques you can use to provide maximum benefit to your clients - order today!
- Create wills that prevent future conflict and confusion.
- Ensure you are using the right trust structure when setting up revocable living trusts.
- Structure intentionally defective grantor trusts to avoid critical problems.
- Make sense of IRS rules regarding retirement benefit planning.
- Take advantage of portability, step-up basis and other essential tax minimization tactics.
- Preserve access to public benefits when creating special needs trusts.
- Gain critical insights on durable financial powers of attorney.
- Make sure healthcare wishes are clearly stated in advance medical directives.
All times are shown in Central time
- Will Strategies to Prevent Conflict and Confusion
8:30 - 9:15, Steven C. Ebbers
- Distribution of Assets
- Disinheriting Individuals
- No Contest Clauses
- Avoiding Mistakes That Invalidate Wills
- Revocable Living Trust Tactics
9:15 - 10:00, Joyce H. Sealand
- Choosing the Right Trust Structure
- Asset Protection
- Beneficiary Protection
- Minimizing Estate Taxes
- Pour-Over Wills
- Grantor Trust Structuring Tips: Tax Savings and Problem Avoidance
10:15 - 11:00, Joyce H. Sealand
- Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts (IDGTs)
- Grantor-Retained Interest Trusts: GRATs, GRITs and GRUTs
- Qualified Personal Residence Trusts (QPRTs)
- Retirement Benefit Planning Techniques
11:00 - 11:45, W. Martin Seiler
- Understanding IRS Rules
- Beneficiary Designations
- Tax Apportionment Clauses and Retirement Benefits
- Drafting IRA Trusts
- Tax Minimization Tactics: Portability, Step-Up Basis and More
12:45 - 1:30, Carlisle Dale
- Federal Tax Planning
- State Tax Planning
- Portability Essentials
- Step-Up Basis Must-Haves
- Credit Shelter Trusts
- Special Needs Trusts (SNTs) and ABLE Account Strategies
1:30 - 2:15, Carlisle Dale
- Choosing the Right Vehicle
- Preserving Access to Public Benefits
- Essential Wording in Light of Restrictions
- ABLE Accounts vs. SNTs: When to Use
- ABLE Account Updates: What You Need to Know
- Durable Financial Powers of Attorney Insights
2:30 - 3:00, Donna S. Harkness
- Advance Directive Tips: Making Healthcare Wishes Explicit
3:00 - 3:40, Donna S. Harkness
- Living Wills
- Medical Powers of Attorney
- Do Not Resuscitate (DNR) Orders, Do Not Intubate (DNI) Orders, etc.
- HIPAA Issues
- Ethical Considerations
3:40 - 4:40, A. Michelle Poss
- Who is Your Client?
- Attorney Fees and Engagement Agreements
- Protecting Confidentiality in Storing Client Files and Electronic Communications
- Preventing Fiduciary Misconduct
This intermediate level seminar offers an overview of the best practices in estate planning and will benefit:
- Financial Planners
- Accountants and CPAs
- Trust Officers