A Comprehensive Guide to Marijuana Corporate Formation, Contracts, Taxation, and More
Legalized marijuana can be just like any other business - except when it's not. Liabilities lurk in the unlikeliest of corners, and it takes a savvy practitioner to shed light on the aspects where non-marijuana businesses have it comparatively easy. This essential course will get you up to speed on the finer points of corporate formation, taxation, contracting, real estate and other areas where marijuana businesses need expert guidance. Make sure you maximize the legal protections available for cannabusinesses - order today!
- Differentiate between types of marijuana businesses and their unique needs.
- Determine the pros and cons of LLCs, S-Corps and other cannabusiness corporate entities.
- Reduce critical tax liabilities caused by Section 280E of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Create enforceable marijuana business contracts that serve as shields against legal liabilities.
- Get up to speed on the finer points of marijuana property sales and leasing.
- Stay ahead of the game by keeping your clients appraised of the latest legal updates.
10:00 am - 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
- Types of Marijuana Businesses - Key Considerations
10:00 - 10:30, Jeffrey Gard
- Medical Marijuana Dispensaries
- Retail Marijuana Stores
- Cultivation Businesses
- Marijuana Product Manufacturers
- Retail Marijuana Testing Facilities
- Corporate Formation for Marijuana Businesses
10:30 - 11:30, Christopher Ray
- Corporate Entity Pros and Cons: LLCs, C-Corps, etc.
- Separate Subsidiaries for Banking and Other Functions
- Corporate Bylaws for C-Corp and S-Corp Marijuana Businesses
- LLC Operating Agreements for Marijuana Businesses
- Corporate Members: Moral Character Requirements, etc.
- Membership Interest Transfers: Legal Requirements
- Multi-State Cannabusiness Considerations
- Marijuana Taxation Essentials
11:45 - 12:45, Tracy Ahr
- Section 280E and Tax Liability
- Deductible vs. Non-Deductible Expenses
- Medical Marijuana Taxation
- Recreational Marijuana Taxation
- The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: Effects on Cannabusinesses
- Contracts for Cannabusinesses: Essential Clauses and More
1:15 - 2:15, Jeffrey Gard
- Enforceability of Marijuana Contracts
- Acknowledgement of Marijuana Illegality
- Subject Matter Description and Contract Invalidation
- Choice of Law and Marijuana-Friendly Courts
- The Importance of Severability Terms
- Independent Consideration
- Arbitration Clauses for Cannabis Contracts
- Types of Contracts: Additional Pointers
- Cannabis Distribution Agreements
- Company Acquisition Contracts
- Employment Agreements
- Licensing and Trademark Agreements
- Commercial Real Estate for Marijuana Businesses
2:15 - 3:15, Christopher Ray
- Location and Zoning Restrictions
- Potential Risks for Landlords
- Real Estate Leasing Essentials
- Permitted Activities
- Civil Asset Forfeiture Indemnities and Other Outs
- Licenses and Unforeseen Moves
- Landlord Access and the Law
- Lease Term and Market Volatility
- Marijuana Property Purchases and Sales
- Due Diligence: Easements, CC&Rs, etc.
- Purchase Agreements
- Bank Loans
- Escrow Services
- Marijuana Business Law Legal Update
3:30 - 4:00, Tracy Ahr
- Ethical Considerations
4:00 - 5:00, Jeffrey Gard
- Duty to Pursue Justice
- Conflicts with Federal Law
- Advising on Business Operations
- Ownership of Cannabis Businesses
- Criminal Law Considerations
This program is for attorneys. Accountants, bankers, business owners and paralegals may also benefit.