Purchases and Sales, 1031 Exchanges, Use of LLCs and More
Investing in real estate can be a very profitable venture, but that doesn't mean that it's without its hazards. Do you have a solid enough grasp of the area to help your clients (or yourself) increase returns and minimize risks? This program will delve into the key legal and financial aspects of real estate investment while highlighting common issues and opportunities. Expand your knowledge and skill set - order today!
- Explore the different methods of real estate investment - which one is most suitable?
- Understand how the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act has impacted real estate investment.
- Know the rules, requirements and documentation necessary for carrying out successful 1031 exchanges.
- Learn the do's and don'ts of using LLCs to invest in real estate.
- Discover how to perform a thorough due diligence analysis of investment property.
- Review various approaches to financing investment property.
10:00 am to 5:00 pm - All times are shown in Eastern time
- Real Estate Investment 101
10:00 - 10:45, James A. Hochman
- What Properties Make Good Investments?
- Methods of Real Estate Investment
- Use of Real Estate Brokers
- For the Purchase
- For the Sale
- For Management and Due Diligence
- Broker/Lawyer Synergy
- Applicable Laws and Regulations
- License Portability
- Brokers and Potential Lien Rights
- Intersection of Real Estate and Securities Laws
- Current Trends and Developments in RE Investment
- The New Tax Law: What it Means for Real Estate Investment
10:45 - 11:45, John Paul Parks
- Basic Tax Aspects of Real Estate Investments
- Pass-Through Deduction
- Depreciation Rules
- Business Interest Limitation
- Other TCJA Provisions You Must Know
- 1031 Exchanges of Real Estate Investments
12:00 - 1:00, Kristina Ogland
- Introduction to Like-Kind Exchanges
- Sale vs. Exchange
- Exchange Formats and Variations
- Rules and Requirements for a 1031 Exchange
- Purchase and Exchange Agreements
- Use of LLCs to Invest in Real Estate
1:30 - 2:15, Kristina Ogland
- LLC vs. Corp vs. Partnership
- Liability/Asset Protection and Veil Piercing
- Tax Issues
- Transferring Title to Real Estate to LLCs
- Operating Agreements
- Best Practices for Forming an LLC for Real Estate
- Purchase and Sale of Investment Property
2:15 - 3:45, James A. Hochman
- Purchase Contract Negotiations
- Turnkey Property Investment
- Working with Brokers
- Listing Agreements
- Buyer Representation Agreements
- Non-Disclosure Agreements
- Income/ROI Potential vs. Liabilities
- Title Commitment Review and Resolution of Title Exceptions
- Encroachments, Surveys and Usage Restrictions
- Leases and Estoppel Letters
- Zoning and Other Due Diligence
- Financing Real Estate Investments
- Government-Assisted Finance (IDBs, TIF, etc.)
- Legal Ethics
4:00 - 5:00, James A. Hochman
- Conflicts of Interest
- Doing Business with or Against Clients
- Confidentiality vs. Mandatory Disclosures
- Attorneys' Fees and Clients' Funds
This program is designed for attorneys. Accountants, financial advisors, real estate brokers, investment representatives and paralegals will also benefit.