The Impact of Recent Tax Changes on Divorce Settlements
Recent changes brought about by the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act have had an impact in family law. Are you up to speed on how they impact your clients? This informative course will discuss how revisions to support payments, the child tax credit, personal and dependent exemptions and more effect the negotiations of settlements in divorce. Stay on top of these impactful changes - register today!
- Discover how support payments are treated under the new act.
- Understand what the child tax credit increase means for the settlement.
- Gain valuable tips for negotiating settlement and support agreements.
- Review how and when to pursue changes to existing agreements/orders.
Session time: 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM Eastern Standard Time
Presenter: Paul F. Wright
- The 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act - An Overview of What's Changed
- The Tax Treatment of Support Payments
- Child Tax Credit Increase
- Treatment of Pass-Through Income From a Business
- New Standard Deductions and Elimination of Personal and Dependent Exemptions
- Limits to SALT and Mortgage Interest Deduction
- How the Changes Impact After-Tax Income
- Calculating Spousal and Child Support
- Negotiating Settlement and Support Agreements
- Amending Existing Agreements/Orders
This course is designed for attorneys. Accountants and paralegals may also benefit.