We are committed to safeguarding the health of our attendees and speakers. This seminar has been moved to an online format due to public health concerns.
Learn How to Effectively Own and Operate a Marijuana Business
The legalization of marijuana has created a multitude of business opportunities, but it has also created many questions and uncertainties for attorneys advising businesses. With so much legal grey area it gets hard to define many aspects of how to actually run the business. In this full-day program, expert attorney and accountant faculty will equip you with the essential skills you need to effectively (and legally) run a marijuana business. Don't miss out on this vital marijuana business operations course - order today!
- Examine marijuana business regulations, state/federal compliance and licensing changes.
- Evaluate the current banking landscape, review requirements of FinCEN guidance, learn how to get a bank account, raise capital and more.
- Learn how to create solid marijuana business plans and policies and accurately deal with 401k issues.
- Review tax implications and better understand Section 280E of the IRS Tax Code.
- Gain the tools you need to protect trademarks and stay in compliance with strict marketing/advertising guidelines.
- Analyze the ethical implications of advising cannabis business clients.
All times are shown in Eastern time
- How to Remain Compliant! Marijuana Laws, Licensing and More
9:00 - 10:00, Paula Savchenko
- The Regulatory Status/Current Challenges of Marijuana
- Impacts and Risks of Federal Law
- Setting Up and Maintaining Comprehensive Compliance Standards and Practices
- What Permitting is Needed for Each Type of Operation?
- Hemp vs. Marijuana - Botanical and Regulatory Distinctions
- Making Changes to Your License
- How to Remain Compliant for Cultivations, Processors, Retailers, Wholesalers, Transports and Manufacturers
- Fighting Regulatory Enforcement Actions
- Dealing with Regulators About Cannabis
- Banking and Financing for Marijuana Businesses
10:15 - 11:15, Dustin Robinson
- Banking Laws, Regulations, FinCEN Requirements and Prohibitions
- How to Get a Bank Account for the Cannabis Business
- Financing the Marijuana Startup
- Handling MJ Financing Issues
- What to do With the Funds . . .
- Payment Systems: Examining Illegality
- Cash Handling and Anti-Money Laundering Policies, Procedures and Penalties
- Managing Growth: Seeking Investment, New Business Partners, Mergers and IPOs
- Reviewing Marijuana Business Tax Implications, Recordkeeping and Accounting Best Practices
11:15 - 12:15, Paula Savchenko
- How to Deduct Business Expenses in Light of 280E
- Tax Ramifications/Implications - How and Why Taxation Affects Bottom Line and Business Plan
- Examining Cannabis Record Keeping Requirements
- Reviewing MJ Accounting, Profit and Loss Best Practices
- Human Resources, Labor and Employment
1:15 - 2:15, Scott M. Behren
- Choosing/Assembling the Right Management/Executive Team
- Hiring, Staffing and Training for the Marijuana Business
- Handling 401k Issues Specific to the Cannabis Business
- Understanding MJ Corporate Governance - Proper Forms and Processes
- Protecting Marijuana Trademarks and Reviewing Advertising and Marketing Considerations
2:30 - 3:30, Scott M. Behren
- Reviewing Cannabis Trademarks: Federal vs. State Level
- What are the Legal Restrictions for Marijuana Labels?
- Strategies for Registering a Federal MJ Trademark with the US Patent & Trademark Office
- What are the Legal Requirements for Marketing Marijuana?
- Cannabis Licensing: How to Build Your Product Lines and Offer Variety
- Examining Advertising Restrictions
3:30 - 4:30, Oscar A. Sanchez
- Marijuana and Rules of Professional Conduct
- Duty to Pursue Justice
- Attorney Use of Cannabis Products
- Attorney Ownership of Cannabis Businesses
This intermediate level seminar provides practical information on marijuana law for:
- Accountants and CPAs
- Bankers and Commercial Lenders
- Enrolled Agents
- Certified Financial Planners