Understand the Benefits, the Mechanics of Asset Planning, Application Process, and Estate Recovery
Medicaid is a key source of long-term care funding for the majority of aging Americans. Sadly, without some planning, even a very short stay at a nursing home can wipe out a family's life savings. This program lays out the fundamental tools and principals guiding Medicaid planning, so you can help your clients get the care they need. You will get a practical overview of excluded assets, qualifying transfers, community spouse protections, estate recovery rules, and more. Register today!
- Get a clear understanding of what Medicaid long-term care programs exist and what they cover.
- Distinguish between countable and excluded assets to make sure your clients get to keep everything allowed.
- Learn how qualifying transfers work and what is NOT allowed.
- Clarify how penalty periods are calculated to minimize months of ineligibility.
- Find out the extent of Medicaid recovery rights: what can they get, and what exceptions exist.
11:00 AM to 6:00 PM Eastern Standard Time
- MEDICAID PROGRAM OVERVIEW: DOES THE CLIENT NEED IT?
11:00 - 12:00, Tye J. Cressman
- Medicaid Nursing Home Care Coverage
- Medicare Limitations on Nursing Home Stay
- Citizenship and Residency Requirements
- Application for Other Benefits
- Medicaid Coverage vs. Private Alternatives
- Limits on Medicare Long-Term Care Coverage
- In-Home Care Services Coverage
- Four Basic Eligibility Criteria in a Nutshell
- Partial Eligibility and Share of Cost
- WHAT CONSTITUTES AS EXCLUDED ASSETS
12:15 - 1:15, Tye J. Cressman
- When Family Home is a Non-Countable Asset
- Bank Accounts, Stocks, Bonds, and Mutual Fund Shares
- Assets Without Saleable Value
- Government Payment Programs
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- Household Goods and Property Used for Home Consumption
- Income-Producing Property
- Life Estates/Life Leases
- Valuation of Assets for Eligibility Purposes
- TRANSFER ELIGIBILITY
1:15 - 2:15, Tye J. Cressman
- What Counts as a Gift for Purposes of Medicaid Planning?
- Repayment of Debts and Prepayment of Expenses
- Burial Contracts/Funeral Trusts
- Treatment of IRAs and Retirement Accounts
- Promissory Notes, Trusts, and Annuities
- The Reverse Half-Loaf Income Technique
- Other Exempt Transfers
- LOOKBACK REQUIREMENTS AND PENALTY PERIODS
2:45 - 3:45, Tye J. Cressman
- What is a Look-Back Period?
- What Triggers a Penalty Period?
- Penalty Period Calculations and Partial Months of Ineligibility
- COMMUNITY SPOUSE PROTECTIONS
3:45 - 4:15, Tye J. Cressman
- Monthly Maintenance Need Allowance for the Community Spouse
- Community Spouse Resource Allowance and CSRA Appeal
- LEGAL ETHICS
4:30 - 5:30, Tammy R. Lawlor
- Conflicts of Interest when Representing Both Spouses
- Protecting Confidentiality
- Attorney Fees
- Mental Capacity in Elder Law
- Practical Scenarios - What Would You Do?
- MEDICAID ESTATE RECOVERY RIGHTS AND EXCEPTIONS
5:30 - 6:00, Tammy R. Lawlor
- State Estate Recovery Rules
- Hardship Waivers
- Estate Recovery Exemption with Qualified Long-Term Care Insurance Policy
- Claim Reduction Approaches
This program is designed for attorneys. Nursing home administrators, accountants, paralegals, estate planners, fiduciaries, investment advisers, geriatric care managers will also benefit from attending.