Dodge Costly Mistakes and Protect Your Clients' Best Interests
With the sheer volume of documents involved in real estate transactions, it is easy for something to slip through the cracks. From the purchase contract to title information to loan documentation and more, there's plenty of things that can go wrong. This essential course will show you how to review, draft and negotiate real estate transaction documentation so you can avoid problems, keep transactions moving and ensure the best deal for your clients. Build your skills - order today!
- Learn how to steer clear of drafting errors in letters of intent and purchase and sale agreements.
- Discuss methods for pinpointing red flags in legal descriptions and land surveys.
- Review ways to recognize problems in real estate titles.
- Take a closer look at common pitfalls in financing and loan documents.
- Recognize and prevent errors in closing documents.
This is a rebroadcast of the original webcast delivered by David H. Gunning II and Vernon L. Jarboe on December 19, 2019. Faculty will be available to answer your questions after the program.
10:00 am - 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
- Mistakes to Avoid When Drafting Letters of Intent and Purchase and Sale Agreements
10:00 - 11:00, David H. Gunning II
- Inaccuracies in the Property Description
- Misstating the Purchase Price, Payment and Deposit Amount
- Risks Associated with Contingency Clauses
- Pitfalls When Negotiating Representations and Warranties
- Drafting Errors in Covenants and Conditions
- Overlooking Indemnities for Buyers and Sellers
- Failing to Negotiate Default, Termination and Remedies
- Spotting Red Flags in Legal Descriptions and Land Surveys
11:15 - 12:15, Vernon L. Jarboe
- Common Problems Found in Legal Descriptions
- What to Do When Land Surveys and Legal Descriptions Don't Match Up
- Identifying Potential Boundary Line Issues
- Uncovering Unrecorded Easements and Other Surprises
- Identifying Title Problems and Preparing Curative Documents
12:15 - 1:15, David H. Gunning II
- Mistakes to Look for in the Title Commitment
- Finding Errors in Title Exception Documents
- Tips for Negotiating Removal of Title Exceptions
- How to Use Corrective Deeds and Affidavits
- Errors to Avoid When Drafting Easement and Boundary Line Agreements
- Preparing and Negotiating Releases of Liens
- Potential Pitfalls in Financing and Loan Documents
1:45 - 2:45, David H. Gunning II
- Spotting Potential Problems in Real Estate Appraisal Reports
- Common Errors in the Loan Application
- Avoiding Costly Mistakes in Term Sheets and Commitment Letters
- Overlooking Key Provisions in Loan Documents - And How to Negotiate Them
- Preventing and Addressing Errors in Closing Documentation
2:45 - 3:45, David H. Gunning II
- Minimizing Delays with a Comprehensive Closing Checklist
- Hidden Dangers of Boilerplate Loan Documents
- Ensuring Accuracy in the Closing Disclosure and Loan Estimate
- Other Closing Documents/Affidavits You Shouldn't Overlook
- Avoiding Legal Ethics Landmines
4:00 - 5:00, Vernon L. Jarboe
- Conflicts of Interest
- Disclosure of Defects
- Attorney Fees
- Document Retention and Recordkeeping
This program is designed for attorneys. Real estate professionals, title insurance agents and paralegals may also benefit.