Laws and Regulations, Contract Negotiation, Compliance Risks and More
Conducting deals across international borders presents businesses with great opportunities for growth and financial gain. With those opportunities comes a host of business risks and legal compliance concerns. Counsel must be well-acquainted with both the benefits and the risks in order to maximize benefits for their clients. This program will provide you with a comprehensive overview of the legal issues, regulatory concerns and tax considerations involved with cross-border transactions. Learn how to protect your clients in the global marketplace - register today!
- Assess compliance risks when dealing with conflicting laws, language barriers and other challenges.
- Draft cross-border agreements that protect your clients.
- Gain insight into successfully handling joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions.
- Analyze the impact of customs and tariffs.
- Examine key concepts in the taxation of cross-border transactions.
- Receive an update on proposed IRS rulemaking impacting transfers of partnership interests.
10:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
- Overcoming Legal Barriers to Cross-Border Practice
10:00 - 10:45, Terrence L. Olsen
- Unfamiliarity with Local Laws and Regulations
- Assessing Local Compliance Risks
- Conflict of Laws
- Language Barriers, Time Zones, Communication Problems
- Insurance Problems
- Currency Fluctuations
- Identifying Reliable Sources of Legal/Compliance Information
- Finding Solid Local Co-Counsel
- Common Cross-Border Agreements: Sample Language and Drafting Considerations
10:45 - 11:45, Susan Meek
- Transportation Contracts
- Supplier and Service Provider Contracts
- Intellectual Property
- Construction/Real Estate Contracts
- Energy Contracts
- Joint Ventures, Mergers and Acquisitions
12:00 - 12:30, Daniel S. Welytok
- What You Need to Know About Customs and Tariffs
12:30 - 1:15, Terrence L. Olsen
- Classification of Goods
- Valuation Issues
- USCS Rules and Procedures
- Impact of New Tariffs on Existing Contracts
- Employee and Immigration Issues
1:45 - 2:30, Terrence L. Olsen
- Cross-Border Taxation Essentials
2:30 - 3:30, Michael S. Goode
- Outbound Transactions
- Inbound Transactions
- Real Property Investment
- Branch Profits Tax
- PFIC (Passive Foreign Investment Company) Rules
- IRS Proposed Regulations on Withholding on Transfers of Partnership Interests (Section 1446(f))
3:45 - 4:00, Michael S. Goode
- Legal Ethics in Cross-Border Practice
4:00 - 5:00, Daniel S. Welytok
- Competency Issues
- Preventing UPL
- Conflicts of Interest and Multiple Representation
- Unique Issues in Data Security
- Attorney Fees and Client Trust Accounts
This program is designed for attorneys. Paralegals will also benefit.