Handle Complex Employment Law Issues With Skill and Finesse
When seemingly routine employment law matters become complex, it is essential to have a comprehensive understanding of the matters at hand in order to aid your client's case. An advanced knowledge of employment law matters will also allow you to gain an upper hand over the other side of the table, thus better ensuring your client's success. Don't miss this valuable opportunity to advance your understanding of complex leave of absence issues, complicated hiring and firing concerns, convoluted NLRB guidance on social media policies and more. Ensure you are representing your clients to the best of your ability by taking your employment law knowledge to the next level - order today!
- Resolve complicated matters concerning intermittent FMLA leave, termination of employees on leave and more.
- Determine when employers can and cannot use social media in hiring and firing decisions.
- Gather essential documentation that proves or disproves the occurrence of pregnancy, religious and other forms of discrimination.
- Examine the complexities of non-compete agreements and determine to what degree they are enforceable.
- Get the latest information on accommodating medical marijuana users, testing employees for drug and alcohol use and other contentious workplace issues.
This is a rebroadcast of the original webcast delivered by Molly B. Hough, Colin S. Seaborg, Brittany Skemp and Sheri L. Stewart on October 22, 2019. Faculty will be available to answer your questions after the program.
10:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Standard Time
Presenters: Molly B. Hough, Colin S. Seaborg, Brittany Skemp and Sheri L. Stewart
- FLSA Changes: Dealing With Significant Impacts
10:00 - 10:15
- Intermittent FMLA Leave and Other Complicated Leave Issues
10:15 - 11:15
- Sending FMLA Notices: Which Method is Best?
- When to Recertify Conditions
- Working With Healthcare Providers to Verify Intermittent Leave
- When to Get HIPAA Releases
- Frequency and Duration of Condition
- Verifying Patterns of Absenteeism
- Investigating Employee Absences: Social Media and Other Tools
- Alternatives to FMLA Leave: Light Duty Work and Other Considerations
- Best Practices for FMLA and Other Medical Leave Policies
- Social Media Policies: Balancing Employer Needs With Employee Rights
11:30 - 12:15
- Social Media and NLRA Violations for Non-Union Employers
- To What Extent May Employers Limit Social Media Use?
- Using Private Social Media Accounts for Business Purposes
- Using Social Media in Hiring Decisions
- Best Practices for Creating and Updating Social Media Policies
- Proving - or Disproving - Employee Discrimination Claims
12:45 - 1:45
- Burdens of Proof: ENDA, Title VII and Other Considerations
- Sufficient Documentation to Prove Prima Facie Cases
- How Employers can Satisfy the Burden of Production
- Burden of Persuasion: Establishing Pretext for Discrimination
- How Employer Documentation Makes or Breaks Discrimination Claims
- Current Issues and Updates: Pregnancy Discrimination, Religious Discrimination and Other Hot Topics
- Hiring and Firing: Non-Compete, Non-Solicit and Confidentiality Agreements; Separation Agreements and Releases; Background Checks; and Other Considerations
1:45 - 2:45
- How Enforceable are Non-Compete, Non-Solicit and Confidentiality Agreements?
- Geographic Scope
- Duration of Agreement
- Restricted Activities
- Potential Employer Liabilities in Hiring an Employee With an Agreement
- What Employers Can and Can't Ask About Criminal Backgrounds, Credit Histories, Etc.
- Legally Compliant Job Offers, Terms and Conditions of Employment Contracts
- Terminating Employees on Leave
- Creating Legally Sound Paper Trails for Terminations
- Separation Agreements and Releases
- Drugs and Alcohol in the Workplace: Medical Marijuana and Other Considerations
3:00 - 4:00
- State Medical and Recreational Marijuana Laws: An Overview
- Accommodating Medical Marijuana Users: Do Employers Have To?
- Drug Testing Considerations for Current and Prospective Employees
- Firing and Disciplining Medical Marijuana Users: Legal Perspectives
- Drug and Alcohol Policies: Mitigating Employee Confusion
- Ethical Issues in Employment Law
4:00 - 5:00
- Key Rules of Professional Conduct
- Privileged Communications
- Identifying and Avoiding Conflicts of Interest
This advanced level program on employment law issues is designed for attorneys. Human resource professionals and accountants may also benefit.