Get the Skills You Need to Fund and Organize Continuing Care
With the rising costs of long-term care and the health/benefits laws in flux, do you have the most up-to-date actionable knowledge to ensure your clients' elder care needs are met? This fast-paced instruction reviews key areas of concern and offers practical tactics for qualifying clients for benefits and funding continuing care. Register today!
- Get crucial skills for organizing and funding elder care and qualifying for benefits.
- Account for the recent and imminent regulatory changes in planning for Medicaid.
- Review the procedure of qualifying clients for VA benefits, and maintain your accreditation.
- Understand the role of care managers, when you need one, and how to choose one wisely.
- Find out what you can and must do to protect elderly clients from neglect and abuse.
- Review a sample special needs trust and learn when to use SNTs and how to maximize their effectiveness.
- Get a bird's eye view of the long term care system to help coordinate all the elements of your plan.
- Overview of State Long-Term Care
9:00 - 9:30, Morris R. Saunders
- Benefit Programs
- Medicare Benefits for Skilled Nursing Facilities and Home Health Care
9:30 - 10:00, Morris R. Saunders
- VA Benefits for LTC Services
10:15 - 11:15, Morris R. Saunders
- Who Qualifies
- What are the Benefits?
- How to Counsel and Assist Clients with VA Qualification
- Applicant's Right to Appeal
- Using a Care Manager to Enhance Service to Clients
11:15 - 11:45, Julie Mendelson
- Determining when to Obtain the Help of a Professional Care Manager
- How to Find a Qualified Person for the Job
- Gauging the Value of Professional Care Management Support
- Ethics in Elder Care
12:45 - 1:45, Michaeline Gordon
- How Rules of Professional Conduct Apply
- Who Is Your Client? Conflicts of Interest
- Mental Capacity of the Client
- Funding Nursing Home Alternatives
1:45 - 2:15, Michaeline Gordon
and Julie Mendelson
- Current Issues in Medicaid Qualification for Nursing Home Care and In-Home Services
2:15 - 3:15, Michael H. Erde
- The Basic Eligibility Requirements for Individuals
- Qualifying an Institutionalized Spouse
- Transfer of Assets Rules after DRA Implementation
- Real Estate, Promissory Notes, Mortgages, Annuities and other Special Assets
- Estate Recovery
- The Application Process
- Post-Eligibility: Helping the Client Maintain Eligibility through Redetermination and Changes
- Appeals and Judicial Review
- Legal Interventions to Protect At-Risk Elders from Abuse, Neglect or Exploitation
3:30 - 4:00, Michael H. Erde
- Why this is a Growing Issue
- Emergency Guardianship Practice Tools and Tips
- Recipe for Guardianships: 10% Law, 10% Procedure, 80% Ethics
- Remedies through Litigation
- Vs. Unscrupulous Family Members
- Vs. Financial Scammers
- Vs. Assisted Living Facilities
- Bullying by Nursing Home Residents – What can be Done?
- Using Special Needs Trusts to Protect Assets and Provide Access to Care
4:00 - 4:30, Michael H. Erde
- When to use SNTs
- Sample SNT Review
This basic-to-intermediate level seminar offers legal tactics for elder care planning that will benefit:
- Continuing Care Managers
- Assisted Living Facility Administrators
- Estate and Financial Planners
- Accountants and CPAs